What percent of your DVD collection is from the $5.50/5.88 wal-mart bins?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by TimRP, Jun 26, 2004.

1. TimRP

TimRP Stunt Coordinator

What percent of your DVD collection is from the $5.50/5.88 wal-mart bins?

Mine stands at 8.6% with a grand total of 21 wal-mart bin DVDs.

2. Alanna

Alanna Second Unit

33 Wal-Mart bin movies here. I remember when they first put the bin out, I'd buy any movie that looks decent. Now everytime I go I just kind of graze through what's there and occasionally will bring a title home.

3. Allan^L

Allan^L Stunt Coordinator

Just one (A Little Princess). Most of them aren't very appealing to me.

4. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

It's about 2% of my collection.

I've had better luck with my Wal-Mart's $8.88 rack. I've grabbed two Batman movies, all four Lethal Weapons, a couple of Rambos, Rocky's, and (just recently) the original Starship Troopers off that rack! All the movies (with the exception of Rocky II) were anamorphic widescreen to boot!

My best "catch" from the $5.50 bin was the two-disc Special Edition of Rambo II.

My problem with my Wal-Mart's $5.50 bin is getting a movie in its OAR. It seems like half the time I see a movie I want, the dreaded 1.33:1 and/or "Full Screen" moniker is listed on the back.

5. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Mine's under double digits as well.
    Butt, growing every week.
    I love the $5.50 bin!
    I can not believe the titles I have found (thank goodness I have LONG arm's) in THE bin.
    Pretty Baby. What's this title doing IN Walmart, let alone for $5.50!!!
    Serpents Kiss, new release was a wonderful viewing experience.
    Glad I didn't pay $20, for The Bride!

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've only found a couple, but I'm picky. Most recently I got Gingerbread Man and my $5.50 prize was Talented Mr. Ripley. I've gotten to where I do check out the bin whenever I'm in WalMart to get a new release (they do have the lowest prices on popular titles during the first day of release and I've always been able to find the OAR version) and more often than not walk out with a $5.50 special.

7. Charles M Berry

Charles M Berry Stunt Coordinator

0%. [​IMG]

8. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

I have a bunch. I try and not be a snob by checking out films that I may not normally watch, had they not been so cheap. I just watched Diner with Steve Guttenberg, and it still had the old-school $5.00 sticker that was around 2 or 3 years ago. It was an awesome movie, and I doubt that it would of been in my collection otherwise. About 20 to 30 percent of my collection is from Wal-Mart, but not just from the bin.

Ryan

viva los bin.

9. Carl Walker

Carl Walker Stunt Coordinator

.24% of my collection is from the Wal*Mart $5.50 bin. 1 title out of 416: Creepshow.

10. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    I've bought a total of 93 DVDs from their bin with a total of around 140 movies (several were double features or 8 movies on 2 disc sets). Close to 10% I'd guess.

11. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Actually, 1 out of 416 is .24% (can also be expressed as .0024 but not as .0024%). [​IMG]

Anyway, mine is .4% (1 out of 250).

12. John*P

John*P Second Unit

The only DVDs I ever bought from the Wal-Mart bargain bin are About Last Night... and Stay Tuned. I almost didn't buy ALN, because the first copy I picked up was fullscreen, but luckily, I kept rummaging through the bin and found a widescreen/fullscreen version. Makes me wonder why they don't offer both formats on all copies of that movie...? And, while it wasn't actually in the cheap DVD bins, I once bought Pee-wee's Big Adventure at Wal-Mart for a very cheap $5.50! That was an excellent deal, as most stores sell that DVD for $20 or so! Great movie, and the disc has some nice extras, too!

I recently found Josie and the Pussycats in the bargain bin, a movie I've been looking for forever. Unfortunately, it was the lame "This film has been edited for family viewing" version...which is PG and fullscreen. (The original is PG-13 widescreen) Needless to say, I didn't buy it...

13. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

1 out of 1022 for .0978% (less than 1 tenth of 1 percent)

14. Carl Walker

Carl Walker Stunt Coordinator

Woo boy! I'm a math nerd so I can't believe that I made that mistake... :b

15. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

Let's see....0 out of 90 or so.....um, carry the six, round to the nearest hundreth....Oh! 0%! Once I saw Blood Simple in the bin, but it was just thrown in there by some customer. Otherwise, I haven't seen one thing in that bin that I've needed to get.

16. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I have a small handful of movies I've purchased from the Wal-Mart bin which include "Freddy Got Fingered", "Dolores Claiborne", and "The Adventures Of Ford Fairlane".

There are a few others there I have my eye on which I'll probably pick up eventually, including "Nine Months", "About Last Night" and "Double Team".

17. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Man, I can't believe the control you guys have!

I pretty much buy any movie I'm interested in if I find it for $10 and under. If I don't like the movie, I can always pawn it for $5-$7, which means I saw it for less than a rental, and if I like it, I got a great deal.

The only thing that previents me from buying is $ in my pocket (or lack of). :b

18. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Some public domain crap only.

I have better buys with the $8.88 rack (The Blues Brothers!)

19. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well it's not a matter of control. I buy all the dvds I'm interested in (that's why I have over a thousand). I'll be buying the 3 I want that are being released this week. But those aren't going to show up in the Wal-Mart bargain bin. I sometimes look through there, but there's never anything good, and as is being discussed in another thread, often they are sticking in custom made pan & scan only versions of films that were originally released OAR. [​IMG]

The only dvd I ever bought from there was a new release, The Out-of-Towners. Why they had it in the bargain bin is beyond me, but I grabbed it up (I read about it, didn't 'stumble' upon it).

20. Anthony Clifton

Anthony Clifton Stunt Coordinator

0%

I can't justify supporting a company like Wal-mart just for 'cheap DVDs.'