what PE amp should I use with a shiva?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan T, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Hi,
    I'm going to get a shiva and I’m wondering if it is worth the extra $60 to get the 250 watt Parts Express amp instead of the 120 watt one? It would be going in a 3 cu. Ft. sealed box along with a shiva if that helps.
    Ryan

2. StephenP

StephenP Stunt Coordinator

I'm using the 250, and it sounds great. I have the amp gain set at about 12 o'clock (about 1/2) to reach reference levels. My box is around 85L+. I really think the 120 would work, but it's only a little more. My thoughts were - if I wasnt happy with 120, what would I do? I think it's worth the difference just to be sure, but there are several folks on here using the 120 watt, so what do I know?

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I have the 130 watt Apex Jr in a 101.5 liter, and it's plenty for me. But, my space is small, and I am not looking to crack the plaster or anything. I guess it depends on how much room you have to fill and how crazy you want to get with it.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I have almost the same setup, shiva in about a 3 ft^3 box sealed (a little smaller, more like 2.6..)
    anywho I have the adire AVA250 which I think is the same as the PE amp and it's alright, maybe could use a little more power in my opinion but you might find it more than adequate.
    my amp seems to overheat and shut off after hours of hard use (a fan on it fixes that problem) and likes to pop when motors or lights are turned on or off on the same circuit.. otherwise it's a great amp

5. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Well my room is very small 10'W 14'L and 8'H so there is not to much room to fill. I think I'm going to go with the 250 watt amp, it will be nice to have more power than I should need.
    Ryan