What's new

What PC, PS2 and X Box games have the best sound and why ? (1 Viewer)

What PC, PS2 and X Box games do you reckon currently have the best sound compared to other games (as in the best sound mix, best sound design, best sound effects, etc.) when played through any decent speakers and / or when played through any above average home theater systems and please elaborate on your reason/s why, for each game/s mentioned.

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
God Of War!!!

(For refernce, the system I use to listen to music, movies and video games is a Marantz pre amp, Carver Power Amp, Definitive Tech Front left and Right Bipolar Tower Speakers, Definiteve Tech Center Speaker, Definitive Tech Rear Left and Right Bipolar Surround speakers, and a 12 inch Eosone Powered Subwoofer, using my PS2's optical digital out to feed my Marantz a pure digital signal)

GOW is NOT discrete Dolby Digital 5 or 6.1, just Dolby Pro Logic or Dolby Pro Logic 2. But the directionality is perfect, I forgot how good old school dolby pro logic can truly sound when properly mixed.

The dialog stays where it should (in the center speaker), sound effects are authoritive in the front left/right speakers as is the music. Plenty of deep growling bass from the subwoofer, but not exagerated or overcooked as some video game soundtracks but very accurate and well balanced. The surround channels add a very nice ambience at the right moments. And also keep in mind, my old Marantz only decodes Dolby Pro Logic, I can only imagine how good it sounds in Dolby Pro Logic 2!!!

I think GOW is on par with even some of the best discrete DD/DTS big budget film DVD soundtracks and suprisingly to my ears, sounds better than any discrete Dolby Digital 5.1 Xbox game that I have heard in my opinion, and don't get me wrong, there are some FANTASTIC sounding Xbox games.

ShelbyB

Stunt Coordinator
For PC - Call of Duty and Max Payne 2 had great sounds. Very intense gunfire, especially on MP2. Wonderful bass. Not games to play late at night when people are trying to sleep.

Nathan A

Second Unit
If you have an optical cable for your PS2, Vice City is in DTS. It has good directional sound and a great soundtrack. Plus it can be had for cheap if you don't already have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks