What Paradigms for rears in 5.1 setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jedd, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

What do you think, should I get Studio-20 or ADP to work together with Studio-60?

I'm not going to stay with 5.1 setup forever (actually it's 4.1 only, since I have no funds for center channel ) and probably will move towards the 7.1 this summer.

Actually I'm not quite sure what the difference between rears and surrounds in 7.1 setup :b, and what kind of speakers I should use for it.

2. GAVIN

GAVIN Auditioning

I have the same problem. I have just purchased the Studio 60 fronts and waiting onthe arrival of my sub. I am going with the ADP's. I heard them together with and without the sub pluged in. They sound so much cleaner to me than the Studio-20's . Maybe you should go listen to them your self and you be the judge. I also have the Studio/CC center so this simply sound great to me.

Good luck in your hunt!!

3. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

You don't say much about the geometry of your room or what type of content you listen to; obviously the ADPs won't work well in certain room designs.

I believe the center channel is generally more important than the surrounds, unless you watch all your content alone with "head-in-a-vice" positioning so that the phantom center will always be perfect. I faced a similar situation (Studio/60 mains) and decided use the funds allocated to surrounds to get a Studio/CC instead. If that doesn't leave funding for Sutdio/20 surrounds, Mini-monitors or Atoms or cheap-but-half-decent used speakers might be satisfactory for the time being. YMMV, of course.

4. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

The room is 12'x20', one end is my bed, another one is my HTPC (I use monitor to watch movies). I don't worry too much about center channel because
    1) I have no idea where to place it
    2) I watch movies alone or with gf, that's it
    3) I've read a tons of posts here that it sounds better WITHOUT center channel
    4) I dont have money anyway [​IMG]
    So it's gotta be S-60, my-in-progress-DIY-sub and something for rears.
    Is it harder to place ADP's in the small room? I don't have too much space, so they will stand as close to the walls as possible.

5. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Jedd,

You are correct about the center... as long as all the listeners are in the sweet spot, no center speaker is fine. with more listeners, you'd want the center to anchor the dialog to the screen.

ADPs are mounted on the walls (they come with a mounting kit) and are bipole/dipoles (depends on the frequency). I own the ADPs but would have gone with the 20s if I had a better room situation. The ADPs are great for diffuse soundfields (rain, clapping, etc.). The 20s are great for direct effects (flybys, person walking around the room, etc.) and can reproduce diffuse sounds if they have enough room to image properly. Since it sounds like you won't be able to place these significantly away from the walls, I would go with the ADPs (mounted directly to the sides of the listening position, ~16" above ear height).

If you are listening from the bed, you may want to consider moving your listening position away from the back wall...

Greg

6. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

Breck, that's an interesting idea.

Will anyone else second that Titans do better work then S-20 or ADP?

7. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Or you could go with the ADP-170's which is really just a dual Titan...

8. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Well, I feel that the ADP-450s are superior in every respect to the 170s (or Titans). Why not replace the Studio 60s with some monitor 9s while you're at it? (since they both sit on the floor and have drivers on one side). It's up to you to determine the importance of quality vs. cost in your speakers. For me, the Studio line was worth the extra $$$...

9. Dave Schofield

I was only responding to the recommendation to go for Titans in the rear, clearly the Studio ADPs are a better choice if the money is available.

10. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

11. Dave Schofield

I think Breck left out the word "comparatively". If you read it that way it doesn't really knock Titans, only disparages them when compared to the Studio line (as well they should be).

12. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

The point was:

13. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

Ok, now I'm totally [​IMG]
    Breck, do you think that soundstage is more important for rears then imaging?
    I thought that imaging makes good surrounds.

14. Mike LH

Mike LH Auditioning

I would agree with Breck.
    I own a pair of studio 40's and a C/C up front and run the Titans little brother Atom's in the back which are just right. My Home theatre room is on the small size if I run anything to big in back it's too much. In fact I run my rears only on small, that and few minor adjustments. Them little speakers rock. I use my system for music and HT which favors useing a direct firing speaker. My two cents. SEE ya
    ..P.S I wouldn't rule out slipping in the C/C into the mix [​IMG]

15. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Phew, you guys scared me. This is probably what I hate the most about my current speaker set (Plastic HTiB speakers) is that the rears are like only giving sound if you are directly in front of them or something like that, and I tend to increase their volume to compensate but since some frequencies disperse more, that makes some sounds too loud! (Gains are at +4 and +6 for the rears!). But according to Paradigm's website, any driver will give a wide dispersed sound in it's lower frequencies and a direct (Poor Off-Axis response) on it's higher frequency range. Paradigm speakers have a rather low x-over point which means that the tweeter kicks in "Early" meaning that the 2-3khz range is better dispersed.
    That is what I like about Paradigm, they give so much information about their stuff, not just some "Ah, don't let their size confuse you, they sound good" or "Frequency response curves are irrelevent" like a well known speaker company that everybody knows [​IMG] And that is mainly the reason I chose Paradigm when I upgrade (No I was not considering Bose, I was considering someone else but they don't say that much neither, well more than bose at least!)
    And that also explains why my rears are so poorly dispersed, NO TWEETERS[​IMG]