What's new

What Paradigms for a 11.5x14 size room (1 Viewer)

John_King

Auditioning
I am thinking of buying some new Paradigms to replace the hodge-podge of speakers I have and I am wondering what size I should be looking at to get a full quality sound in our room (which is 11.5x14)? I am looking for a 5.1 setup and I will be using a Kenwood VR6070 to push them.

Any advice from other Paradigm owners or speaker experts is welcomed and appreciated!

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I've had a few different paradigm setups in my small (11x15) room over the past few months. I started out w/ Titan mains and Atom surrounds. This was meant as a temporary setup but could have done the job permanently. I then moved the Titans to the surrounds and Atoms to the back surrounds and got 3SE MK3 mains (predecessors to Monitor 3s). These were also great speakers and had no problem filling the room. Later I sold both the Titans and Atoms, got 5SE MK3 mains (predecessors to the Monitor 7s), moved the 3SE MK3s to the side, and got Mini MK3s for the back (Predecessors to the Mini Monitors). All in all, I'm sure the SQ is better than the original Titan/Atom setup, and I know the 3SE MK3s and 5SE MK3s would both do a better job for 2ch music w/out a sub, but since 99% of my listening is HT, I'm guessing most of my upgrades yielded very little actual improvement, especially in a small room. All were driven by a Denon 1803 at the time and now by a Sony 4ES.

That said, Titans and Atoms would most definitely do the job in your room, it's really up to how much $$ you want to spend and how much music listening you do.

Hope this helps :)

John_King

Auditioning
That does help to get a feel for their products and it is great that your room is so close!

Thanks for your reply Stephen

Ryan_MF

Stunt Coordinator
If you want to purchase Paradigm, I would look into the Studio 20 as well - at least give them a listen and see if they fit into your budget.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I would say buy the most expensive bookshelf speaker you can afford. Example: Buy Studio 20s instead of Monitor 7s.

I have Titans, Atoms and CC-170 in a small room and when paired with a subwoofer I can hit reference levels cleanly. These would service you well but you could also go with mini monitors or ref 20s.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
Studio 20's would do nicely, but only if paired with a good quality sub. I don't know you're budget, but I have a 17x20 room. I went with 100's, studio cc, 20's, and servo 15. I don't have the 100's yet. I wouldn't recommend the 100's if you are going to only power them with a receiver for a length of time. The 60's would be as large as I would go in your room with that receiver. The 20's do a nice job with detail, but they do need the sub to fill in the lower notes. I would easily use those instead of my older Paradigm 7semk3's (similar to monitor 7's) for the main speakers. If fact, I am doing that right now in a larger room than you have until I get my 100's.

I would pick a smaller speaker in the studio line than a larger speaker in the monitor line.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would also suggest going w/ the studio line if possible. The reason i went w/ the SE MK3 series was because being an older model i could get some great used deals. I also prefer the TTD soft dome tweeter to the titanium dome tweeter in the monitor series. The monitors are a bit brighter and the older SE MK3s are a bit more laid back.

Hope this helps :)

Clark F

Agent
I have a similar size room and went with Esprit B for fronts, a C-170 and PDR-10. Using old Sony HTIB fronts for surrounds. Sounds great with my Yamaha RX-V630! :emoji_thumbsup:

I am done for now, but next year I will probably get better Paradigm fronts and use the Esprit B as surrounds.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Agreed. The monitor series is a very nice compromise between the studios and the performance series too. All three are great bargains. A budget would help us help you, and so will a good subwoofer. Paradigm also makes good subs, but for an even better bargain, SVS hard to beat.

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
This is almost exactly what I did after Christmas. I had a good receiver and really poor speakers. I went with Paradigm Phantom mains (I wanted a floor-standing model), Atoms for surrounds (Titans are much better for ~$25 more, but were too big for my surrounds), CC-270 (large, but good center), and a PDR-12 sub, which shakes all 2,000 square feet of my house ... at 90% volume and -3 db offset at around -20 db main volume.

Six great speakers for less than $1,200. I still can't believe what a value these speakers are. The Phantoms and PDR-12 are just amazing.

Good luck.

jason willder

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Studio 100s in a 13x13 room. I think any of the studio line would be good. Your receiver won't be able to make the 100s shine. Studio 20s and a good quality sub would sound great. A Servo-15 for example. The 20s could become great rear speakers later if the upgrade bug ever bit you. I would start at the bottom of the reference line before I bought the big Moniter series. What is your budget? That is the main factor.

jason willder

Stunt Coordinator
I am the proud owner of an MCA50/AVM20. I have heard the PVA70 and was impressed. Especially for the money. How about y'all? I think using a PVA and a reciever as a pre/pro would work pretty well with any of the Studio series.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
I am using the Denon 3803 right now, but I hope to upgrade to an external amp and use the Denon as a pre/pro plus handle all my video switching. The 3803 does a fairly good job, but I feel like I'm missing something compared to the sound I heard from the 100's I heard in store powered with a high-end amp. The detail is there, but the finesse seems to be lacking. The 100's sound clean, powerful, and clear, but lack the delicacy I heard when powered by a seperate amp. Perhaps this has as much to do with the preamp they were using, but I still feel the amp would go a great way. I've been looking into getting a parasound or sherbourn amp.

Like a plate of warm cookies needing a glass of milk to add to the experience, my 100's seem to offer more than I can get out of them right now.

jason willder

Stunt Coordinator
Absolutely, I had to wait for three weeks for my MCA50 and was using a HK PA2000/100wpc. When the MCA50 arrived it was truly like night and day. I had even been on the forums whining about how my Studio 100s sounded. I definitely think an external amp is the way to go. More bang for your buck. Although a pre/pro upgrade would make a big difference. I was definitely impressed with the PVA70 that I heard. You could consider one of the Internet only companies like Outlaw. Then you could listen at home and if you don't like send it back. Could I interest you in a low-interest second or third mortgage?:D Just kidding. Having speakers that offer more is not a bad place to be!!!!!!!!!!! Beats needing to upgrade them too.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
Credit seems to be the only thing I have right now.:D I'm in the middle of gift giving season now (anniverseries, b-days, m-day, d-day, etc.) It will be at least mid-june before that's over. I guess I'll have to wait for a Christmas bonus.

John_King

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply's guys, it is great to get some feedback. As far as my budget goes, I am looking to spend between 700-1000. What I wanted to do was get a solid 5.1 going with that money and then later look for a amp to take the load off the Kenwood and just use it as a source.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
First, Paradigm speakers in the 700-1000 dollar range won't require anything more than the Kenwood to push them well. I know it may not be popular for htose who want immediate gratification, but I would suggest getting the Studio CC and a pair of Studio 20's. They will retail about $1150, and you should be able to get them under $1k fairly easily. This does nothing for a sub, nor does it do anything behind you. Use a pair of what you have now for the rears, and save up for a sub instead of an amp. I would suggest the PW-2200 if you have to have a sub under 1k later, but the servo-15 will be more musical (IMO).

This won't blend as well together as a true 5.1 setup now, but IMO, for 1k you aren't going to be able to get a good sub and 5 decent speakers. Why do yourself in to another set of speakers that aren't that great, when you could work towards that by getting three top notch performers accross the front. Later you could get studio 60's or 100's to replace the 20's and move them to ther rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks