What's new

What Paradigm speakers would you use for a 6.1 setup? (1 Viewer)

BrentJ

Second Unit
I'm looking into a 6.1 setup and I'm probably going to go with all Paradigm speakers. What would you guys recommend I get. I'm looking to not spend more than $1200. Thanks

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Mini-monitors (350)
CC 370 (i think thats the matching center, forget the price, maybe also like 350?)
a good sub, i dunno if you can squeeze an SVS into that price without going too much over, but maybe something like the sony WM40. And then, you can go with the dipolar surrounds from the performance series, (below the monitor series that you should get the fronts from) but that wouls still be kinda pricey. 4 Atoms would do wonders around the back, and if you are really pinched for cash, maybe you could save a tad using micros, since they are in the rears, not much bass needed there is they are cutoff high. The micros are tiny, though, and really can't do bass well. Atoms are much better in this regard, although they are also small.

Secondly, while I don't usually like the idea of someone going in pre-disposed to one brand of speakers, I don't think that anything near 350 can touch the mini-monitors, so you can't go wrong. Still, you should branch out a little bit and compare. If anything, it'll only solidify your choice of Paradigm. And as always, listen for yourself, and let your ears decide.

Nick Cerretti

Stunt Coordinator
First off, knowing what you plan on using these speakers for would be a big plus.

If all our HT, get Titans all around and a cc-170. Save money by not going in the monitor line to grab a great sub. In HT and with a nice sub, the Titans are going to sound pretty much like the Mini-monitors.

If you're into music, I just recommend using the 1200 for a pair of Studio 40s and a sub. Honestly, stereo is the only way to go.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have: Monitor 5s, CC370 front, Titans, CC170 rear. At MSRP prices, that would be just under 1200, not including tax (I paid quite a bit less). That also does not include a sub. To drop the price a bit, I'd step down to Minis up front. If you want to dedicate more to a sub, then Maybe Titans or Focus up front with a CC270 and possibly even Atoms as surrounds. For surrounds, I was using 3 Titans (pair of Titans is about the same price as a 170), but I didn't know what to do with the left over Titan, so I sold the pair and stuck the 170 back there.

In that price range, I would consider Axiom also. The M3Ti is as good or better than the Mini Monitor for less $$. I have done a back to back comparison in my own system between the two.

My thoughts:

1) Focus + CC270 front, 4 Atoms or 2 Atoms + CC170 rear, +$400 sub = ~$1275 + tax.

From Axiom - 5 M3Tis + VP100 + $400 sub = ~$1300.

You will have to play with that a bit, if $1200 is your absolute max.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
All good suggestions. I forgot to mention axiom too. I usually don't, though, because I haven't heard them for myself, but I have some friends who have and like them a lot. The seem like as good a value as Paradigm. You can get some very nice speakers for 1200, but the sub is a large chunk, depending.

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
Recently bought Phantoms, Atoms, CC-270, and PDR-12 sub for ~$1150 (no tax here).

I detailed this in a different post, so I'll simply say that I couldn't hear a bit of difference between Titan and Mini Monitor and Monitor 3/5 (forget which one it was). This is why you should audition for yourself -- some people hear a world of difference; some people, like me, don't hear any difference and are better off spending their money elsewhere.

In any event, if you went from Phantoms ($450/pair) to Titans ($210/pair) or Focus (between Titans and Phantoms in price), you'd save enough to buy a CC-170 for the rear center and still be under $1,200.

Never listened to the Focus, but I understand that it uses drivers that are more similar to the Phantoms and, like the Phantoms, have a removable grill (in case you like to show off the silverish drivers).

Also, CC-170 mates with Titan and below; CC-270 mates with Focus and above. So, you'd save money on the matching center channel by going with Titans over Focus. BTW, I thought the CC-270 sounded much better than the 170.

BTW, I didn't audition subs -- just went with the paradigm PDR-12, which absolutely shakes my whole house.

Good luck.

BrentJ

Second Unit
Thanks for all the suggestions. They give me something to go by. When I decide what I'm going to do I will post it here. Thanks again.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

I've heard this too. I own both, and while they both are GREAT speakers, I'd say the difference(to my ears anyway) is significant, especially for music. Take a listen, and decide for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks