What Paradigm line do B&W 604s compete with?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Legairre, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Do they compete with the Monitor or Reference line.

Thanks

Legairre

2. Legairre

Anyone? How about a guess?

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

The alignment looks similiar to the Studio 100s(3 way, 4 drivers)with similiar sensitivity, but the driver materials, driver sizes, and crossovers are different.

I haven't owned any Paradigms, so I don't know how they sound, but there are alot of happy owners here. I had the 604s(series2) before I upgraded to the CDM 9NTs, and I found them to be excellent performers in their price range.

I have heard the Paradigms are a little brighter sounding than the B&Ws, but since I haven't compared them myself I can't say that it is true.

Are you thinking of buying new speakers?

DJ

4. Legairre

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at Paradigm studio 60s, but I keep hearing that my Rotel gear would go well with B&W speakers.

5. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

My guess would be that the B&W 600 series would be comparable to Paradigm Monitor line.. and the CDM series to the Studio.. but I could be wrong..

Joel

6. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Paradigm doesn't go as "highend" as B&W,

I was comparing the B&W 602's to the Paradigm Studio 40's they are very similar, so the 604's are probably similar to the reference 100's or 60's.

In my opinion B&W makes a better speaker (construction wise) sound wise it's up to your ears of course. I really liked the Studio 40 the 602's sound almost the same with a little less punch on the bass side.

7. Adam

Adam Stunt Coordinator

I have listened to both the 600 series and the paradigm series extensively. I personally chose the DM604's over the Paradigm studio 60's and the 80's. I never compared them directly to the 100's. My brother-in-law and two other very good friends all listened to the Paradigm Studio 60's and the B&W 603's, all series two. All three chose the B&W's for their Home Theater setups. I made them do their own listening tests with their own music, and told them that they were both very good speakers. I actually wanted to like the Studios better because they look so much better. But to my ears the B&W have better imaging and a more mellow high end.

I therefore, think I have the right to say that the DM604's definitly compare well with the Studio series.

Adam.

8. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

i'd say that line to line, the b&w 600 series would be akin to the paradigm monitor line, but probably sound a bit better. i'd put the cdm line up against the reference series.

i've listened to both paradigm lines and the b&w 602's, and think they're all fine speakers. the 600's may sound better to a lot of people, and i love the cdm line as well. but personally, i prefer the paradigm reference line. the b&w's sound great, but to me just seem a bit too well mannered or laid back. probably perfect for strictly jazz or classical, but the reference have a bit more punch for rock and roll.

but really, the only way to tell is to listen for yourself. everyone has different preferences. btw, if you're set onthe studio 60's, don't listen to the 100's. i thought the 60's would be all the speaker i'd ever need, but once i compared them to the 100's, the decision was obvious. the 100's just seemed more open, which may be because they're the only true three-way in the line. now if i could just afford them, and had the space for them.

9. Legairre

Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I've areldy listened to the 100s, but they're way to big. The 60s are a 2 1/2 way design and the 604s are a 3 way. That's why I was wondering where then fall. It sounds like they're somewhere around or in between the 60s and maybe the 80s?