What paint to put a higher gain on bo screen?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Victor Ferguson, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

May 2, 2005
    I currently have a (16x9)98 inch diagonal DIY screen that uses white black out cloth. I projecting from a Infocus 4800. Walls are dark, and the screen is framed. I have calibrated with DVE and I am not getting quite as much contrast or in my words punch out of the image. I believe the black out cloth is giving me a gain somewhere right around 1.0, I was wanting to get around a 1.3 - 1.5 gain out of it and was wondering what a good paint combination would be to coat the screen with to increase the gain. I have read several posts with recommendations but mostly say it depends on the evniroment its in. I have good light control the walls are dark grey and the screen is framed with black felt. Anyone with a DLP projector that has painted a screen to increase gain please give this DIYer some pointers.
  2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Feb 11, 2004
    I used a blackout cloth screen for about 6 months with my X1, but I wanted a brighter white screen. I tried painting it but that was a nightmare. If you're good with a sprayer that is the way to go. I painted a sheet of 1/2" Medium Density Fiberboard with Behr Ultra Pure White(eggshell finish) and hung it on the wall. I like the picture better than the B/O cloth, it is brighter and the colors are better. First I tried flat finish, but the eggshell looks better.