What's new

What other movies like "Memento" would you recommend. (1 Viewer)

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Hold off on Pulp Fiction for now. The only thing available now is a barebones. A two-disc extravaganza is being released in a couple of months (August or September, I believe). But when that is released, run, don't walk, to the store. It is indeed a must-see.

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
Let me add a couple of movies I didn't see recommended here. Go is Doug Liman's fun ensemble movie with multiple diverging/converging storylines and quirky, interesting characters. The Limey has to be Stephen Soderburg's most underrated movie. It's an intimate revenge drama with Terence Stamp turning in a terrific lead performance.
Both of these movies feature a good bit of non-linear editing (though nothing like Memento's intricate structure). I highly recommend them to fans of Memento, Pulp Fiction, etc.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
How did this thread get bumped without anyone adding a post to it? :confused:
Note: The thread was listed in the past 24hr update list, so it wasn't me that bumped it.

GabrielleG

Stunt Coordinator
I may be the only person on this forum that did not care for Mulholland Drive. I did however love Momento. I also really liked FRAILTY and DONNIE DARKO and recommend both highly for people who like Momento. My opinion on Mulholland is just that an opinion. But I like movies that screw with you through out and just when you think you got it, you find out you had it all wrong. Mulholand drive left me pissed in the end. In fact 5 months later, i'm still pissed.

Gabrielle

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I may be the only person on this forum that did not care for Mulholland Drive. I did however love Momento. I also really liked FRAILTY and DONNIE DARKO and recommend both highly for people who like Momento. My opinion on Mulholland is just that an opinion. But I like movies that screw with you through out and just when you think you got it, you find out you had it all wrong. Mulholand drive left me pissed in the end. In fact 5 months later, i'm still pissed.
I'm just curious, but what was it about the film that left you pissed? Were you just unsatisfied with the film overall, or was it because there were too many unanswered questions? A lot of people that I know disliked the film because they felt that "it just didn't make sense". I don't know if you disliked it for the same reasons, but I found that talking about the film with these people allowed them to better appreciate it.
Have you read Salon's analysis of the film? It doesn't offer the absolute correct interpretation of the film, but it does give a better general understanding of the whole "plot twist".
I find that "Mulholland Dr" is one of those films that only gets better with repeated viewings.
PS: Oh, and by the way... it's Memento. ;)

GabrielleG

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen the movie twice. The second time I watched it was because I just knew I had to be missing something. There were entirely too many loose ends. I felt like a bunch of plot points were regurgitated on the screen and then I was left without an explanation for it. I once went to a art exhibit that left me feeling the same way. The "artist" had thrown the remneants of her bathroom trashcan onto a white sheet of plastic and glued it all in place.I really doubt anyone could convince me to like a film after watching it twice.
PS Thanks for correcting my spelling. Made me feel all warm inside that you would care that much :rolleyes

Colin-H

Second Unit
I have to second The Game and The Spanish Prisoner. I just got done watching The Game, in fact, and it’s an incredible movie. Less overtly political than Fight Club, and it manages to confuse you throughout the entire movie, which I enjoyed. (I hate figuring things out too early.) I can’t decide which of Fincher’s flicks I like best. (Se7en is incredible, as well.) I wonder how M:I-3 will turn out with Fincher on the bridge…

p.s. That Salon article gets a red card for unnecessary use of the word “filmic”: “Mulholland Drive is a movie along those lines, though its filmic palette is broader.”

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
This is a great thread. There were so many movies listed I couldn't keep track so I thought I'd recap all the movies that were mentioned by everyone - now it doesn't matter if everyone agreed or not, I just wanted to compile all suggestions at this point. And hope I didn't forget anyone...

Fight Club
Open Your Eyes
Memento
Sixth Sense
Usual Suspects
Vanilla Sky
The Game
Red Rock West
Pulp Fiction
Mulholland Drive
Reservoir Dogs
Jacob's Ladder
Irréversible
Following
Roshomon
12 Monkeys
Magnolia
Donnie Darko
Psycho
Vertigo
Rear Window
Spoorloos (English: "The Vanishing") 1988 French ver, Criterion dvd, directed by George Sluizer.
Lantana
Ravenous
LA Confidential
Session 9
Series 7
Clouzot's "Les Diaboliques"
House of Games
The Spanish Prisoner
Run Lola Run
Toto le Hero
Being John Malkovich
Go
The Limey
Frailty
Lost Highway
Ravenous

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I give Soderberg's SCHIZOPOLIS my highest recommendation. Unfortunately only available on VHS. :frowning: However this has been broadcast in widescreen on IFC if I remember correctly. Any word on a DVD release of this film that (in my humble opinion) perfectly encapsulates 90s filmmaking?

how about Wolfgang Peterson's Shattered (1991). i know this one isn't available on DVD in R1, but it is worth a viewing. definitely will have your head spinning with all the twists and turns.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that Red Rock West is a lot like Blood Simple, only not as good?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I love the Game as much as anyone else but better than Fight Club? The ending was too over the top/silly and just barely acceptable imo. I don't ever get mad at movies for creating "fanboys" (a term usually used for biased gaming geeks) but I do like post-modern flicks, and this is as post-modern as they come.
The 13th Floor didn't break any box office numbers but I like this movie as well. What a cool twist. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks