What's new

What other movies like "Memento" would you recommend. (1 Viewer)

ShawnCoghill

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I was going to say the same,forgot to,
The Game Better than Fight Club?
I dont thinkkkk soooo,
The Game was a good film.But it lacked the Fight Club Drive.Fight Club was a Step in filmmaking.
The Game was good,but Fight Club was just the better Film,and I dont see how you could say fan-boyish,whatever you meant by that,If your implying that just because Fight Club has more fans,that It is inferior to The Game?Thats just plain odd to say.just my Opinion,but Im guessing more people like Fight Club than The Game,but maybe thats why your downing FC,I have no Idea? So is Casablanca,or The Godfather bad films because their so well-liked?

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Far superior to the fan-boyish Fight Club.
:laugh::laugh: :emoji_thumbsup:
Honestly, though, although I think Fight Club is a good movie, I have to agree with the 'fanboyish' aspect. That movie got frat boys into the Pixies and I'll never forgive it for that. ;)
I also recommend:
Lantana, another neo-noir that spins a labyrinthian web about about loss and longing.
-j

Brian_J

Second Unit
I dont think any movie is like Memento, but interesting niche movies are:

Ravenous
LA Confidential
Usual Suspects
Session 9

Brian

Brian_J

Second Unit
I also found the Fight Club comment to be perplexing. Few movies smack you upside the head during their first viewings saying "I'm different, I'm great and I'm a classic, sit back and hold on for the ride" like this movie did to me.

Brian

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Try watching Series 7. Its not really Memento-like, but its a brutal "in your face" movie that is quite funny.

Brad_V

Second Unit
It's hard to go wrong with The Usual Suspects. Mulholland Drive may as well be a big-budget Dynasty episode. If you liked Twin Peaks, I guess you'd like that. Maybe. It's similar story-telling as Memento, though. Sorta.

To me, Vanilla Sky was "Let's play out this storyline and then out of nowhere in the last 20 minutes make the movie be about something else and put in a "surprising" twist." *yawn* I started digging it after the first 30 minutes, but to then go wild with the ending... "oh my, what a shocker." :- bleh.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Looks like I stirred up a hornets nest.
:laugh:
You guys crack me up!
I guess I've gotta defend myself here.
You're only proving my point here guys. Anything posted about this film that's even remotely non-masturbatory in its adoration gets attacked.
There's nothing derogatory in what I posted. I stand by my statement that Fight Club is the ultimate fan-boy movie. Also I think The Game is the better/more challenging Fincher film IMO.
My god I can't think of a single film that so many people actually worship as much as this one outside of the Holy Trinity's of Star Wars, Indy & Back to the Future.
So go enjoy your Fight Club. I'm not stopping you just because I don't worship it. ;)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I would definantly recomend....

The Usual Suspects......worth a blind buy IMO.
Fight Club
Mullholland Dr......it is pretty weird and most of my friends didn't like it.
The Game....if you haven't seen it already.
Pulp Fiction....not like Memento though.
Resivoir Dogs.....great dialog and also not like Memento

I wouldn't bother with Vanilla Sky since you have seen the original.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Clouzot's "Les Diaboliques" (avoid the remake with Sharon Stone like the plague)
Mamet's "House of Games"
Mamet's "The Spanish Prisoner"

Regards,

Eric T

Second Unit
I'll second the votes for The Game, Lost Highway, The Spanish Prisoner, and Ravenous. Even though Ravenous is not the same keeps-you-guessing type of movie as the others, it's still pretty unusual.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
if you are looking for a good movie that plays with time like MEMENTO ... i would recommend the German movie RUN LOLA RUN.
PULP FICTION of course (i can't believe you did not see that one yet) :)

Peter Cho

Auditioning
Toto le Hero (Toto the Hero) is a french film, which is my all time favorite foreign movie. Unfortunately it's not on DVD (let me know if this isn't true. I'd buy it for any price) but I still strongly recommend it. The movie has a wonderful story, Memento like twists, and fabulous editing. If you need to know more, I'll write a little bit more about it. At least I'll say, it's about a boy's life (growing up to an old man) looking back at the past and future...

*Have you tried watching Memento "in order" by programing the chapters backwards? It's a whole new way to watch it! Another reason why DVD's so cool...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Don't Look Now is coming to R1 DVD from Paramount soon and has one of those endings where everything snaps into focus and you are forced to reevaluate what you were just seeing because you now understand what was going on.

Regards,

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for such a big list guys. There are so many of those titles I never thought about watching but will now give them consideration.

I picked up Usual Suspect SE 16.99 yesterday since no one really disliked it and there was a couple of you mentioning it's worth a blind buy.

I think I'm going to buy Vanilla Sky hopefully to shed some light on Open Your Eyes. I'm also very curious about remake in general.

Many of you compared Mulholland Dr to Twin Peak, which I've heard but never seen. Sound like a kind of movie my wife will enjoy?

I'll pick up Fight Club too since any film that got so much attention and provoke so much discussion deserve at lease one careful viewing.

I've seen the game, 12 monkey

Couldn't sit through Ravenous but since it's brought up, I'll give it a second chance.

RichardK

Second Unit
i second the run lola run vote. nice looking dvd and great soundtrack...!
red rock west is also a great movie...have meant to check that one out again...
watched mulholland and memento on consecutive nights, talk about screwing with your head! i recommend if you're at all curious.

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
Pulp Fiction has been on Starz and Encore alot lately. Great friggin movie!

Sarah Temple

Agent
i have a hard time watching 8MM... maybe im just too sensitive to gratuity. i cant watch BOOGIE NIGHTS either. its not that i dont like pt anderson... MAGNOLIA is one of my favorites. But, if you can stomach the topic, 8MM could interest you.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I would also recommend 12 Monkeys. It's my favorite movie.

If you want something that will just screw with your mind, definately check out Being John Malkovich if you haven't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks