What's new

What other movies like "Memento" would you recommend. (1 Viewer)

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
I really enjoyed this movie. So much that I need more.

With Fight Club, I had a hard time sitting through a lot of the uninteresting fight and violence and when I learned the truth (watching it while doing chores), I wish I would have sat through it. Too late.

Open Your Eyes was interesting but I didn't find too many clues that would lead to a good conclusion like Memento. Too many questions with no believable answers unlike Memeto.

I don't know if you can put the Sixth Sense and The Others in the same category but I have seen them and liked both, Others more the the Sixth Sense.

I haven't seen the Usual Suspect? Worth a blind pickup of the DVD?

How about Vanilla Sky? I haven't read anything about that. Not even a review. I've only heard that it's like "Open your Eyes."

Others?

Alan Benson

Stunt Coordinator
How about Vanilla Sky? I haven't read anything about that. Not even a review. I've only heard that it's like "Open your Eyes."
It's more than "like" Open Your Eyes -- it's an American remake, practically shot-by-shot, and a fairly needless one at that. Not a awful film, but unless you just want to see Tom Cruise doing the same movie, I'd say skip it...

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I highly recommend Vanilla Sky. Its a (IMO) superior remake of Open Your Eyes.
Others to check out would be David Fincher's The Game. Far superior to the fan-boyish Fight Club.
Also John Dahl's excellent modern Film-Noir Red Rock West.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
I highly recommend Vanilla Sky. Its a (IMO) superior remake of Open Your Eyes.
OK, so Vanilla Sky is the remake of Open Your Eyes? I've seen Open Your Eyes so do I need to see this one? Usually, this kind of movie you watch for the twist/surprise/revelation. I actually was going to pick it up.

Jim, I've seen The Game and yes it's good.

How about Pulp Fiction. Again, knows nothing about it to avoid spoilers. Does it fall into the same category as movies I listed?

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Well, if you mean mind bending films, which MEMENTO and OPEN YOUR EYES definitely are, I highly recommend the masterpiece that is MULHOLLAND DRIVE!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I loved the Usual Suspects.

What is probably the most unique thing about Memento is that the ending of the movie was in the middle of the story. I doubt you'll find a movie anywhere near that kind of genius in storytelling.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Pulp Fiction is a must see. I don't know why but I just assumed most everyone has seen it. I definitely would've recommended it along with Tarantino's other modern classic Reservoir Dogs.
As for Vanilla Sky if you're going into this for the surprise only then maybe you should pass. I viewed Vanilla Sky before Open Your Eyes which probably took the edge off the original.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I've seen Open Your Eyes so do I need to see this one?
No, you can safely ignore Vanilla Sky. It's not bad and it's not great, but it has nothing over the original, except some unnecessary Cameron "I really wanna be a rock star" fluff.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
I highly recommend the masterpiece that is MULHOLLAND DRIVE!
I was about to ask about this one also. Thanks.
I might pick up Fight Club just to watch it properly this time (sitting through the whole movie knowing it's going to be good :D. The first time I saw it as a rental, I knew nothing about it so after a while, I concluded it's a stupid street fighting movie and started doing something else. Sometimes it helps to know a little about a film ;)).
Another one I really enjoyed that many didn't was "Jacob's Ladder."
I'll check out:
Usual Suspect
Mulholland Drive
Vanilla Sky (still pondering on this one)
Pulp Fiction (this one got to be in one of the cable channels :)).
I've stopped renting long ago so it's either cable or buy. I don't mind taking the risk because I usually end up liking many of this type of movies. They're also the kind of movies that are worth repeated viewings.

DougRogers

Stunt Coordinator
Good luck finding Pulp Fiction on cable. I also recommend it and Reservoir Dogs. The Usual Suspects rocked the first couple of times I saw it and now I can barely sit through it (could have been the beer though) I didn't care for Mulholland Drive but it is worth a watch.

Doug

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I'd have to recommend Irréversible, so far the best film I've seen all year.
Think of it as "Memento meets 8mm", but with the most some of the most brutal and intense scenes I've ever seen on-screen. The film made headlines after some audience members walked out of the theater while the film was being shown at the Cannes Film Festival. I could definitely understand why some people would hate this film, but, if you watch it with an open mind (and a strong stomach), then I'm sure that you will appreciate this masterpiece.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you liked Memento so much, you might also want to see Following, also by Christopher Nolan.

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Usual Suspects is my second all time favorite movie. I can watch it 100 times and still not get tired of it. It is a MUST SEE.
Pulp Fiction is also a must see. Resevoir Dogs in my opinion SUCKED. I could barely sit through it. It is Boring, and there are no twists, so it is nothing like Memento. You might like it thoug, I dont know.
Memento, in my opinion is the most incredible film I have ever seen. That doesn't mean it is my favorite, but it is just plain aweosome. It baffles me that a human being could come up with such a story and put it togethter the way it was.
Fight Club is also a very good movie. Definately worth watching again.
THe Game is another great movie that I can watch over and over.
These are my favorite types of movies. I haven't seen Vanilla Sky yet either, but I want to. Mulholland Drive was just too plain weird. I understand it, but have a hard time appreciating it. I guess it is to twisted for me.
I too found The Others better than The Sixth Sense. Another one similar to these is Unbreakable. It is kinda slow paced, but a very good movie.
Sorry for rambling.
Later

Johnny V

Agent
Also John Dahl's excellent modern Film-Noir Red Rock West.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who loved this movie. It boggles my mind that is such an underrated/unheard of movie, especially considering the cast.

And yes, Pulp Fiction is a MUST see. Without a doubt, my favorite movie of all time, with Memento probably taking second place.

Dahna

Auditioning
Not quite mind bending, but you'll probably like 12 Monkeys w/ Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt.

ShawnCoghill

Stunt Coordinator
I think Magnolia would fit into this,If you havent seen this film,its a check out.of Course Mulholland Dr. BTW you CAN find Pulp Fiction on Cable,its on THE MOVIE CHANNEL about every week or so,usually pretty late.Also as said before The Usual Suspects.Se7en is a definite watch.And if you can keep up with it,Lost Highway,and Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me, Also some older great films if you havent seen them,PSYCHO,VERTIGO,Rear Window, OHHH ALSO FIND "Spoorloos"which in English is "The Vanishing",,MAKE SURE YOU GET THE 1988 VERSION FROM FRANCE/DUTCH,NOT THE AMERICAN VERSION STARRING JEFF BRIDGES,SANDRA BULLOCK,AND KENNETH BRANAGH. You can find the Good French version on dvd by Criterion.Its directed by George Sluizer.

Jeff Willy

Agent
Donnie Darko

Even after you find out most of what is going on, you still won't be able to understand everything, I suspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cronosmantas