1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

What other movies like "Memento" would you recommend.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luc, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

I really enjoyed this movie. So much that I need more.

With Fight Club, I had a hard time sitting through a lot of the uninteresting fight and violence and when I learned the truth (watching it while doing chores), I wish I would have sat through it. Too late.

Open Your Eyes was interesting but I didn't find too many clues that would lead to a good conclusion like Memento. Too many questions with no believable answers unlike Memeto.

I don't know if you can put the Sixth Sense and The Others in the same category but I have seen them and liked both, Others more the the Sixth Sense.

I haven't seen the Usual Suspect? Worth a blind pickup of the DVD?

How about Vanilla Sky? I haven't read anything about that. Not even a review. I've only heard that it's like "Open your Eyes."

Others?

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

3. Alan Benson

Alan Benson Stunt Coordinator

4. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

5. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

6. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Well, if you mean mind bending films, which MEMENTO and OPEN YOUR EYES definitely are, I highly recommend the masterpiece that is MULHOLLAND DRIVE!

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I loved the Usual Suspects.

What is probably the most unique thing about Memento is that the ending of the movie was in the middle of the story. I doubt you'll find a movie anywhere near that kind of genius in storytelling.

8. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Yes, Pulp Fiction is a must see. I don't know why but I just assumed most everyone has seen it. I definitely would've recommended it along with Tarantino's other modern classic Reservoir Dogs.
    As for Vanilla Sky if you're going into this for the surprise only then maybe you should pass. I viewed Vanilla Sky before Open Your Eyes which probably took the edge off the original.

9. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

10. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

11. DougRogers

DougRogers Stunt Coordinator

Good luck finding Pulp Fiction on cable. I also recommend it and Reservoir Dogs. The Usual Suspects rocked the first couple of times I saw it and now I can barely sit through it (could have been the beer though) I didn't care for Mulholland Drive but it is worth a watch.

Doug

12. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

I'd have to recommend Irréversible, so far the best film I've seen all year.
    Think of it as "Memento meets 8mm", but with the most some of the most brutal and intense scenes I've ever seen on-screen. The film made headlines after some audience members walked out of the theater while the film was being shown at the Cannes Film Festival. I could definitely understand why some people would hate this film, but, if you watch it with an open mind (and a strong stomach), then I'm sure that you will appreciate this masterpiece.

13. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    If you liked Memento so much, you might also want to see Following, also by Christopher Nolan.

14. Ches Campbell

Ches Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Usual Suspects is my second all time favorite movie. I can watch it 100 times and still not get tired of it. It is a MUST SEE.
    Pulp Fiction is also a must see. Resevoir Dogs in my opinion SUCKED. I could barely sit through it. It is Boring, and there are no twists, so it is nothing like Memento. You might like it thoug, I dont know.
    Memento, in my opinion is the most incredible film I have ever seen. That doesn't mean it is my favorite, but it is just plain aweosome. It baffles me that a human being could come up with such a story and put it togethter the way it was.
    Fight Club is also a very good movie. Definately worth watching again.
    THe Game is another great movie that I can watch over and over.
    These are my favorite types of movies. I haven't seen Vanilla Sky yet either, but I want to. Mulholland Drive was just too plain weird. I understand it, but have a hard time appreciating it. I guess it is to twisted for me.
    I too found The Others better than The Sixth Sense. Another one similar to these is Unbreakable. It is kinda slow paced, but a very good movie.
    Sorry for rambling.
    Later

15. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Kurosawa's Roshomon.
    Phil

16. Johnny V

Johnny V Agent

17. Dahna

Dahna Auditioning

Not quite mind bending, but you'll probably like 12 Monkeys w/ Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt.

18. ShawnCoghill

ShawnCoghill Stunt Coordinator

I think Magnolia would fit into this,If you havent seen this film,its a check out.of Course Mulholland Dr. BTW you CAN find Pulp Fiction on Cable,its on THE MOVIE CHANNEL about every week or so,usually pretty late.Also as said before The Usual Suspects.Se7en is a definite watch.And if you can keep up with it,Lost Highway,and Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me, Also some older great films if you havent seen them,PSYCHO,VERTIGO,Rear Window, OHHH ALSO FIND "Spoorloos"which in English is "The Vanishing",,MAKE SURE YOU GET THE 1988 VERSION FROM FRANCE/DUTCH,NOT THE AMERICAN VERSION STARRING JEFF BRIDGES,SANDRA BULLOCK,AND KENNETH BRANAGH. You can find the Good French version on dvd by Criterion.Its directed by George Sluizer.

19. Jeff Willy

Jeff Willy Agent

Donnie Darko

Even after you find out most of what is going on, you still won't be able to understand everything, I suspect.

20. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer