What's new

What OTA HDTV decoder? (1 Viewer)

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
What do folks in this forum recommend for an inexpensive OTA HD receiver I can hook up to my Mits 55819?

What features do I really need for an OTA HD receiver?

How good is the Samsung SIR-T151? They can be had on Ebay for less than $250, sometimes even less than $200.

I won't be getting satellite for at least another 3 years, so I don't think getting one with satellite functionality also would be a good idea at this time.

Suggestions?

Also, any suggestions for a good indoor powered antenna?

Thanks!

Bruce

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Bruce,
With the big game on today,
Be sure to check your local stores in the coming weeks.
It seems many buy these boxes just for this game and then
return them. Over the last few years BB & CC seem to have a huge supply of open box discounted units.
Also since your here in the twin cities you may want to look over at this forum.
http://www.hdtvtwincities.com/
and review some past post here:
http://www.ktca.org/innertube/inside/bbs/index.html
-Jerry in Coon Rapids :)

David Judah

Screenwriter
The 151 is a good decoder. Its tuner is not as sensitive as some of the newer units, but that won't matter if you're not in a fringe area.

I got one when they were first released and it has performed admirably. I only use it now for the local stations that aren't covered by Comcast HD feeding a Mits 55908.

Good luck,

DJ

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce

Yes, for the stations of greatest interest to me, it told me yellow UHF, green UHF and VHF, and light green UHF and VHF. My greatest distance from the towers is 11.2 miles. Compass orientations are either 241° or 244°.

From my limited knowledge in this area, I think an indoor powered antenna should work for me.

Bruce

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce

Jerry,

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely check BB and CC this week. I've put the first site you suggested in my favorites already. The second one is down due to inappropriate posts.

Thanks again!

Bruce

PS If you stumble across any great buys at BB or CC, feel free to email me!

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce

I don't understand why I can't find any information about the 151 at the Samsung website. They have info on the 150 under "archived" products, but nada about the 151.

If I find a deal on the 351, is that one supposed to be substantially better?

Thanks!

Bruce

John S

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think the 351 was an ATSC OTA tuner.. I could be wrong. I use a Zenith bought open box, seems so good so far anyways with my old Radio Shack powered indoor antenna that I fished out from boxes of relics of days past.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The 351 is the successor to the 151. For whatever reason, Sammy seems to have dropped the manual from their web site.

As for the 351, be cautious, as there are reams of user reports about audio drop-outs with the 351 when using a digital connection for DD. I have no first hand experience with that, but there are lots of unhappy users out there.

I just retired my 151 in favor of a Sammy 160 (combo OTA and D* HD box).

As for the 151, I had no audio problems at all, and good reception, although I live about 3 miles the way the crow flies from the antennas in my city. I can't comment on fringe area reception. The 160 seems to work just as well as the 151 for OTA Digital.

Back to the 151, I have a PDF copy of the manual, if you want it. Just post your e-mail or shoot me a PM at [email protected]

BGL

David Judah

Screenwriter
There's a pdf file here for the 151, too.

I'm sure Brian and I could answer any questions you have. It's got the standard analog outputs, an optical output and is selectable with a switch in the back for 480, 720, and 1080 output resolutions--pretty straightfoward.

DJ

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

IIRC, its also has a Coax digital out.....

Its currently on loan at a friends (I was a nice guy and enabled him to watch the Super Bowl in HD with his new Panny LCD TV!) so I can't take a look around back at the moment.

BGL

David Judah

Screenwriter
It only has one optical digital out.

I had lent mine out as well, but had to get it back for the Superbowl because Comcast dropped CBS from its HD line-up.

DJ

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

OK, you had to make me dig out the manual, didn't you:D

It has both a Coax and an Optical. I was pretty sure it had a coax, since that is how I had hooked mine up. I remember because it was black in color, unlike the "normal" colors for RCAs such as red/white for audio, red,green,blue for component, and yellow for video.

Well, having said that, mine had a coax. Perhaps there is more than one version of the model?

BGL

David Judah

Screenwriter
You're right. It is nestled in between the component out and the analog outs and the optical is over on its own. It's funny--I've had this thing almost since they first came out and I've always used the optical because I didn't look closely and mistook the coax as part of the composite outs.

Good eye.:)

DJ

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
I got the 151 at Tweeters for $249, salesmen said it was being discontinued. Worked perfectly for me. For antenna I got this B2 stealth bomber:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2185

It's supposed to be for outdoor, but I left it on a bookshelf in the loft. Got all the worthwhile HD stations in my area. For indoor, this one comes highly recommended, I ordered it but couldn't wait for it to arrive (takes about 10 days) so I got the B2 stealth bomber instead. If you want it I'll sell it to you for what I paid, still in the box, unopened.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=930%2D0998

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks