What's new

What one PS4 game should I get for 2017? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm a slow gamer. I'm still at the start of Fallout 4, which I bought release date. But I'm back to playing it and could be done end of this year. And I've got unplayed games from PS+ to play.

Appreciating I'd probably get through a single full game in 2017, what one game should I get?

I was thinking Bioshock (Remastered) since I love that series and might enjoy a re-play. But given I'm so slow to gaming, and there are many great games I've not played, maybe that's not the best choice?

Skyrim? Dishonored? FarCry? Diablo 3? I'm open to ideas here. I'm working on my christmas shopping list!

(And don't say Destiny. I'm looking for a game. Not a way of life nor a crippling addiction. ;) )

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'd say avoid remasters unless they're games that you never got to play. If time is limited, would you rather experience something new or have some classic experience be ruined once you realize it wasn't that great?

What are you into? FPS, RPG, action games, long games, short games, etc.?

There are a bunch of great games on PS4 that I could recommend but it depends on your interests. GTAV if you like open-world action stuff, Metal Gear Solid V if you are into the series, etc.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Why not try some of the titles that are smaller in scope? Some of the first titles I'll be getting for the PS4 are downloads like Firewatch, The Witness, and Inside.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think Dave is looking for something long, not something that can be done in one long sitting. That said, those recommendations are pretty great.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Witcher III. I'm not a big RPG guy, but that game is incredibly rich and doesn't get as bogged down in minutiae as a lot of other big RPGs do. I mean, the details are there if you *want* to deal with them, but for the most part you don't have to.

Have you played The Last of Us and Uncharted 4 yet? Those are must-plays, although put together they probably wouldn't take up the whole year.

I recently downloaded Rocket League. "Way of life?" No. But "Crippling Addiction?" Maybe. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
They make short games?

I've got "Journey" in the queue. I'm open to good short games. I hadn't really considered it.

These days I'm into FPS narrative experiences: Fallout, The Last of Us, Bioshock:Infinite. I also enjoyed a year of Destiny that nearly ruined my marriage ;) but I make up for that by playing the Lego games with my wife.

I don't want super hard games. I want to complete what I start, if it's a story.

So: I had in mind a conventional AAA game like FarCry or Skyrim or WatchDogs or whatever. Dishonored 2 sounds neat, but maybe on the difficult side. But I'm open to great short games I've missed. Firewatch sounds good. I need to look up Inside and The Witness.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The Last Guardian

It looks fantastic, and is the only PS4 game I am interested in right now. release date 12/6.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For me:
Inside
Firewatch
Uncharted 4 (I keep calling this FarCry. Is there a remastered collection of the whole Uncharted series?)
The Last Guardian (once released, if reviews are good)

Not for me:
The Witness (brutally difficult puzzler, not my thing)
Watch Dogs (I'd have to try a demo, but doesn't sound like what I want thematically)
The Witcher III (Fallout 3/4 and The Last of Us push my boundaries for violence and being a bad virtual person. Witcher sounds like too much for me in storytelling. And its restricted fast travel system would increase my already slow playing.)

Thanks for the ideas.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The PS3 trilogy for Uncharted indeed was remastered and packaged together for the PS4. And in the tradition of PS3 era collections/remasters of PS2 classics, it can already be had without much trouble for $10-$20 new, sweetening the deal even further.

So it's a good deal, but it is three AAA last-gen games. So you could find yourself taking likely a minimum of 30 hours to get through all of them. But you could probably play all 4 of the main console titles in one year thanks to their relatively short length (The Vita received an excellent exclusive, so it wouldn't be the entire series).

Or by virtue of their short length, tack it on with a larger game and perhaps play an entry each year in it to completion, so you don't get burned out on it.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, The Witness is an AMAZING game but it is one of those "bang your head against a wall for an hour, step away, come back, figure it out in 2 seconds" kind of puzzle games. Still, an amazing game that will actually make you look at the world differently. I wouldn't recommend it unless that description I gave sounds remotely appealing.

The Uncharted Collection will be on sale for like $15 during the black friday/cyber monday time frame. It's Uncharted 1-3, all of which are good but 2 is the best by far. However, 4 is probably even better. Each game is about 10-12 hours depending on difficulty, I think 4 was a bit longer, like 15-18.

Watch Dogs is basically Grand Theft Auto with hacking. The first one was a little too serious, reviews say the second one is much better but a little too goofy (to make up for how serious the first one was). I have no interest in GTA or either WD games, myself.

I personally avoided The Witcher III because I just don't enjoy that particular type of RPG. I also avoided Fallout 4 and Skyrim, even though I Platinum'd Fallout 3. I have weird tastes.

If you're curious about Inside, consider Limbo. It was the first game from the same people who made Inside. Very good, maybe like 3 hours long.

I am REALLY excited for The Last Guardian but that's because I played and loved Ico and Shadow of the Colossus (PS2 games, remastered on PS3 in HD and 3D). I'd wait for reviews before diving into it, since early previews were a bit iffy.

People loved Dishonored 1, but I couldn't enjoy the game past like the first 2 hours. Ditto for the previous Deus Ex (not the one that just came out). I dunno, I love a good stealth game or FPS, but those particular games were just too much work and not enough fun. And the world/story didn't interest me.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I am REALLY excited for The Last Guardian but that's because I played and loved Ico and Shadow of the Colossus (PS2 games, remastered on PS3 in HD and 3D). I'd wait for reviews before diving into it, since early previews were a bit iffy.
I can't say I'm not nervous about TLG, I mean 9 years in development(originally slated for the PS3)
is a record I think. Early reports about control/camera issues are a non-issue for me. Shadow OF the Colossus, and Ico were both very fidgety control wise, and the camera was sometimes intrusive. That did nothing to lessen my enjoyment of those games(after I got used to it of course). They were still brilliant.
I would like to see a great story also attached to The Last Guardian, but I'm pretty sure we will just end up with another non-coherent abstract mess of cut-scenes, and ultimately a let down ending. But I play these games for the puzzle solving, and the atmosphere they envoke.
The gameplay is also very satisfying.

I hope the entire soundtrack to The Last Guardian is as beautiful as the trailer music:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The Witcher III (Fallout 3/4 and The Last of Us push my boundaries for violence and being a bad virtual person. Witcher sounds like too much for me in storytelling. And its restricted fast travel system would increase my already slow playing.)

You *can* be bad in Witcher III, but (at least as far as I got in the game) you certainly aren't required to be. It's nowhere near The Last of Us in that department. You can spend the entire time helping poor villagers with various mini-quests, if you like.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I had a brainwave: A friend has Batman Arkham Knight for PS4 that I can borrow. And it gets rave reviews. I messaged him: he traded it in when he bought his VR. D'oh!

The Witcher: The review at Polygon described systemic attributes of the game's story / world that I'm not interested in investing time and mental energy in. Even though the game's mechanics are excellent. (not to say anyone else shouldn't enjoy it.)

I tried Mass Effect 3(?) on the 360. I didn't get it. I got bogged down slogging through dialog trees and its internal encyclopedia database. And the tech tree and managing my character was more effort than I wanted. Too bad, given its great reputation.

Deus Ex and Tomb Raider, I'd forgotten about. Tomb Raider looked fun and got good comments here. Deus Ex I've never played; I was playing something else when my roommate was invested in that. I feel like I missed out, but I'm not sure how's the time to try to discover the franchise.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Batman Arkham Knight is currently on deep discount on PSN, something like $10 for the base game or $20 for the complete w/DLC version. There's also a 10% off coupon code somewhere. The sale overall is pretty great.

Regarding The Last Guardian, I think both it and Final Fantasy XV were announced at the same time/event or in the same year (FFXV was going to be a XIII spinoff called Versus XIII at the time, later turned into XV). And Duke Nukem Forever took like 15 years between its first announcement and its eventual release. The point I'm making is that TLG's development was LONG, but its not quite the record. And by the time Beyond Good & Evil 2 comes out, that might beat it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm of the opinion that HL3 isn't in development any more, so it will probably arrive some time between now and after the sun envelopes the Earth.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm not sure HL3 has ever been in development. :( But with the lead writer of the HL series having left Valve, there seems no doubt it's a dead product line.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Deus Ex and Tomb Raider, I'd forgotten about. Tomb Raider looked fun and got good comments here. Deus Ex I've never played; I was playing something else when my roommate was invested in that. I feel like I missed out, but I'm not sure how's the time to try to discover the franchise.

Tomb Raider, (the one that came out like 3 years ago) is amazing. One of the best games I've ever played. I haven't played the most recent one 'Rise of the Tomb Raider' yet, but it got very good reviews as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.