What's new

What ON EARTH the MGM "The Sum of Us" is? (1 Viewer)

Michael_Yang

Agent
DVD-10 OR DVD-9 £¿£¿
I hate two side dvd,even D-18£¡£¡:angry: I think it must be DVD-10¡£MGM always do this£¡

Russell Crowe play a gay man!
Good !! I like it!!

But if it is DVD-10£¬I won't buy it.
I will wait for a special edition--cause it is some feature in zone4 version like interview with Jack Thompson¡£

Somebody know that?

Will K

Screenwriter
Yep. Gay as a goose. There's really no sex in the movie, but he smooches it up pretty good(with John Polson, the director of Swimfan!).

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see that this is being released - delightful film and Crowe is excellent in it.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
I will wait for a special edition--cause it is some feature in zone4 version like interview with Jack Thompson
I can't comment on the MGM disc (don't have it) but I wouldn't hold my breath for a special edition. I have the R4 by the way, and while it does in its favor include an interview, it presents the movie "fullscreen" only.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'm a little confused by the first post, but isn't the June 3rd release from MGM going to be widescreen anamorphic (with FS as well)? Though it seems to only have a trailer.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
So what's the problem? That you've got 16x9 WS and PS on either side of the same disc? Is that really so bad?

Jeffry sems to only offer 16x9 WS...fine by me.

-dave

Michael_Yang

Agent

YES! It is very bad.

cause it means not to be a picture-disc if it is DVD-10,If it is DVD-9,I Will like it very very much.

That's what i want to know before i make an order.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Honestly,

I can't imagine all the fuss that a DVD isn't a "picture disc". I guess Disney was right...they should give us P/S only since they don't have room to put a WS version since the all-important silk-screening takes precedence...

Now...if one wanted to complain that by going with a dual-side/aspect ratio format each version only got one layer which wasn't enough to get optimal compression for picture quality then I'd be right there with you. But complaining about a DVD title because it doesn't have silk-screened art on one side of the disc? To each his own...but seems an odd place to start complaining about a DVD release considering everything we have to be thankful about this title like the fact that it offers 16x9 WS and is being made available at all...

-dave

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
hi david,

I also detest DS discs, both as a preference and in practical terms. there are quite a few of us in this camp, and it does affect purchases. :frowning:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I can certainly say that I *prefer* not having to try to read the text around the spine of the disc to figure out which side to play...and I think that DVD-art is attractive.

But it's not the sort of thing that would govern a purchase decision for me personally. It's what I see on the screen and hear on the speakers when the movie is playing that typically affects my "buy or not" decisions.

-dave

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I agree,

a shit 'disc' (content) will remain so no matter how pretty it is on the surafce.

the con argument on DS discs (detailed ad nauseum elsewhere) is basically physical longevity and convenience.

in my business (rentals), it is a paramount issue, where it DOES affect purchasing, AND resale.

ps. one area not mentioned previously is disc prepping - we have to coat 2 sides instead of 1, doubling processing time, and the flow-on detriments of that multiplied by x discs.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
If someone out there really cares more about a picture on the disc more than the picture in the disc, there is a Canadian, region 1 copy of the film available now.
It is MAR 1.33:1 (though I don't know whether that is open matte or true pan-and-scan.)

I includes a image on the DVD itself, bonus trailers,
and talent profiles.

I was thrilled to get it, as this is one my favorite films,
but I am even more thrilled that I will be able to see it
in its OAR when MGM releases their version.

The Canadian release it through Samuel Goldwyn company
with Seville Pictures, Inc., as the distributor, so it is not a crap-o
disc, though I hope the US release has better picuture,
since it will include a 16x9 AR version.

You can purchase it from any Canadian on-line DVD retailer.

I think I got mine from www.DVDBoxOffice.com ,but I would
imagine www.DVDSoon.com and www.DV-Depot.com, as well
as www.NorthAmericanDVD.com would offer it.

Peace,

Mark

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
The full-screen version is open-matte and NOT a pan-and-scan FYI.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Interesting....I have that version. Knowing that it's open-matte instead of pan-and-scam makes me hesitant to repurchase the 16x9 version.

Anyone out there with the Canadian version going to purchase the new version?

JimmyK

Will K

Screenwriter
That's definitely true. I have the laserdisc from back in the day and it's one of those most obvious examples with much empty space on the top and bottom. I hope the 16x9 version will make it seem more cinematic and less evident of its stage origins(of course, the on-camera narration may negate that anyway). Either way, it's a purchase.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Interesting....I have that version. Knowing that it's open-matte instead of pan-and-scam makes me hesitant to repurchase the 16x9 version
Well that's flame bait if ever I saw it! :)

As for me and my house...we want the added 33% resolution for the WS area so we can watch it OAR without loosing res by "zooming" on our 16x9 display...

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Canadians may not have a choice in purchasing the new version unless they import . Many of MGM's Gay Cinema series reside with other distributors in Canada. Alliance/Odeon owns HANGING GARDEN ( a Canadian film,btw) BENT, and originally released MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE as well. THE SUM OF US has already seen a Canadian release so it would be doubtful MGM could sell this title as well.

JEFFREY and IT'S MY PARTY should appear since they are United Artists and Orion releases that cover both countries.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks