What's new

What on earth is ACME? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
It always seems to be the name of some company in the WB cartoons, but I have seen it outside of that - I actually saw an ACME electric inc. or somesuch the other day. WHat does it mean?!

--
Holadem - I could google it, but HTFers know better

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
You live near New York, right? Acme is a big grocery store chain in NJ and the area. The plates and napkins I brought to the last Scooterfest all came from Acme.

It's also a funny joke company name used in Warner Brothers cartoons and elsewhere.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Philip nails it for the NYC area. There was an ACME foodchain about 3 miles from me in Pompton Lakes but it burned down a few years ago and didn't rebuild. Now it's an A&P grocery store but that's what I've known as ACME (besides the Warner Brothers reference)....

Jay

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I believe on the Chuck Jones Documentry, they talk about ACME. It was a inside joke on how the coyote (or people in general) would put their total trust in a faceless huge (where else do you get everything from jet powered skis to human fly outfits???) corporation and be let down time after time.
The show also has a great comment from Steven Speilberg.... something like; George Lucas stole the entire Star Wars Saga from the Cartoon, "Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century"

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Here in Delaware & SE Pennsylvania, ACME is the dominant grocery store chain. The chain is East US only, but owned by the Albertson's Group.

Virtually all my household items come from ACME, including the ultra cool new pair of rocket powered roller skates I recently bought. :D

Scott

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I think the Greek definition of acme is the basis for a company calling itself Acme to denote quality. Plus it is likely to come at the top of the list of companies in a phone book, so Acme along with Ajax were good choices for companies trying to position themselves in the phone book.

Jones and the rest of his demented crew at WB made it into an icon of words that become oxymorons. Acme now has the opposite connotation - almost certainly as a result of the WB cartoons. A friend who worked as a cook would refer to the foods that he had to use as acme peas, as opposed to Green Giant, acme corn, etc.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Exactly- through the years it's kinda become a Generic terms for a faceless "company" (I noticed they used it in the Sopranos back in Season 2 when Pussy described the calling card scam)-- many companies use this to get the first listing in the phone book (along with AA, AAA, AAAAA, AAAAAAAAAA, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, etc.)

If you check the business listings under A in an US city, you're bound to find a dozen "ACME" companies in various businesses.

-Vince

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Acme Bar & Grill, 163 Main Street - Annapolis

A classic saloon steeped in tradition, this site has served spirited beverages to Annapolitans since Prohibition (and possibly during...but no one is talking). Featuring famous plump chicken wings, ice-cold draft beer and great music, as well as homemade soups, salads, crab cakes, pastas and daily specials.

slogan: "Think Globally, Drink Locally".

Definitely the best wings in town !

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Holadem,

I figured out what your signature is. The government asked NASA to design a new weathervane. Not wanting to overlook any possible direction the wind could blow they came up with this....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks