What's new

What new movies will be remade in 20 years time? (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
The question occured to me while watching The Italian Job remake trailer: which current films are gonna go through the re-think machine for future generations to discover first-hand?

Of the remakes I can think of, they generally seem to break down into 5 specific categories

1) to exploit developments in film-making technology - updated effects, inflated budgets etc. e.g. Time Machine :thumbsdown:
2) to realise the specific vision of a filmmaker e.g. Psycho :thumbsdown:
3) to translate a foreign success to the English-speaking world e.g. The Vanishing :thumbsdown:
4) to update a classic story, cast teen actors and set it in a high-school somewhere, e.g. Swimfan :thumbsdown:
5) to rake in bags and bags of cash

So what currently new flicks will be cropping up again in our film-going futures?

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I think we're about due for a remake of Charlton Heston's "Ten Commandments". The biblical events in that movie are just SCREAMING for the special-effects treatments of today.

I'm not necessarily saying it's necessary, but I can see it coming... and it might not be that bad.

Moe.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Someone is going to want to do a high budget remake of the Blair Witch Project.

Stupider ideas were greenlit, just wait and see.

--
Holadem

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Th Lord of the Rings?:D

JK, I just finished watching TTT so the LOTR is on my mind.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think that we're due (not as in they should be made, but will be inevitably made) for some more Hitchcock remakes.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
After the studios rake in phat cash with TROY and the other Alexander the Great-themed film, expect some remakes of other Greek adventure films!

I'm looking forward to:

Clash of the Titans! Jason and the Argonauts! Hercules in Manhattan! The Seven voyages of Sinbad! The 300 Spartans (hopefully from the Frank Miller graphic novel '300).

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
We did get an animated version in '98.
True, but that was themed completely differently than the original classic. It was more a disneyfied comedy-drama-musical than a straight out biblical epic.

A live-action remake with effects-galore and every hollywood actor you could think of (think of the scope of the casting for this one) is just lurking in tinseltown's wings. I don't think it's avoidable... it's inevitable.

Moe.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
The Terminator A contemporary tale of the ongoing conflict between man and machine. Interesting plot twist where a former body builder/ex governor is time shifted from 40 years before the future to save the struggling human race against the machines.

Die Hard An aged janitor (with previous experience as a police officer fighting terrorists in LA and New York) keeping vigil over the waste baskets on the 260th floor of the new Gates Towers in New York. When a new era band of terrorists attempts to steal reams of paper that are placed in a vault with other rare objects d'art our former action hero saves the day with banal quips that reduces the terrorists to wimpering girlymen who gladly flee to the police to gain relief.

Air Force One Our new Hyper Sonic Transport Air Force 1 is hijacked when the President, Jessica Lynch, in on her way to broker a deal between waring factions in California. The states 500 remaining Anglos have taken haven in the Redwoods Natinal Forest and are holding hostage several Spotted Owls and threaten to eat the if a ban on campfires is not raised. President Lynch convinces the hijackers that the HST has shifted course and is actually headed 1000 thousand miles south of the intended destination. The hijackers attempt to don parachutes and excape out the back loading ramp - with regrettable consequences.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
How about breakin 2 electric boogaloo ! lol !:D Not exactly new, but it would be hilarious if they remade it, and the tag line would be, if you thought the original was bad, wait till you see this !:D

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I'm surprised several Hitchcock films haven't been remade.. like Vertigo or North by Northwest.

Another one I think has a remake coming, at some point, though you could contend it has already been done is "Smokey & The Bandit" :)

Final one that I can see being remade.. Mr. Mom... with some new twists :)

(This is not in any way saying these -should- be remade, just saying I can see them being remade)

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
Matrix with a cameo from an elderly Keanu. "Whoa".
Yeah. All those American wire-fu flicks from the late 1990s and early 2000s were so cheesy. I'm glad that Matrix is being remade. Today's TGI (telepathically generated images) looks so much more realistic than those old computer graphics.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I'd say the original Star Wars Trilogy will be redone - more scenes inserted, others mangled. Stormtroopers will be holding walkie talkies, Darth Vader will step in some Bantha poo doo...oh the horror! I can't contemplate the next butchered editions. :D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A live-action remake with effects-galore and every hollywood actor you could think of (think of the scope of the casting for this one) is just lurking in tinseltown's wings. I don't think it's avoidable... it's inevitable.
I doubt it. Hollywood usually shies away from religious-based films anymore. Not only do they have a high potential to offend somebody, but sheer economics dictates that any concept which limits your potential audience is a bad one.

As for my guesses:
Back to the Future
Matrix
Independence Day
Jurassic Park
Gladiator

You don't want to go for films that are so famous that any remake would still be eclipsed indelibly by the original. Citizen Kane, It's a Wonderful Life, and Casablanca come to mind in this category. I think Star Wars, LOTR, and Indiana Jones are examples where the original films (in some form) will always be the ones people watch. Chances are any film that did a great gross that people are familiar with but isn't at the forefront of their consciousness

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks