What's new

What (new) Game system to get? (1 Viewer)

Maurice Verploegen

Stunt Coordinator
The subject says it all.

It is a very tough decision for me. I mean, I don't want to start a war on this thread, but..... I like mostly sport games. The best looking game I have seen so far is the "Star Wars" game on GC. I also have been watching and reading a lot about the 480p, and 1080i stuff about these new systems. I have an Elite PRO-710HD (64" HD-ready RPTV). So I figure that the Xbox gives you the better options on most games as far as that goes. As well as the 5.1 surround sound.

Could you please tell me why you choice your system over the other ones? I would just like some input on what to buy. Also I am not as fanatic about gaming as some of you are. So the past of game realises doesn't really matter to me.

Maurice

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I chose the X Box because it it has the most impressive features and a strong lineup of games for a new console. Every system I've owned has drastically improved the quality of games over time so I figure I can't go wrong with the box.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I'll give you the best piece of advice possible: it doesn't matter what I, or anyone else thinks about what game system is best. In fact, one of my friends still swears by his Dreamcast, saying its still got the edge over the GC and Xbox.

In the end, all that does matter is what you want. So here's an outlook of what to expect from each system if you buy it.

Playstation 2

Hardware - This system still has a good bit of juice left in it. Some of this year's marquee releases showed how far the graphics for the PS2 have evolved (MGS2, GT3, GTA3, Ico, etc.) The large installed base ensures you that no matter how difficult it is for developers to code for the PS2, they'll keep doing it. There are TWO big downsides to the hardware; only two controller ports on the console, and lack of progressive scan output (but your Pioneer should do a commendable job doubling the lines anyways). The controller is tried and true.

Software - The best/most balanced lineup of games on the market. You simply will not be bored, because there are a plethora of good games out there just waiting to be tried. On top of triple-A releases, you'll also find the most unique genres as well (Frequency, REZ). The lineup will stay very strong throughout the rest of the current console generation (next 4 years).

Xbox

Hardware - The best hardware on the market, with launch titles to prove it. The hard drive is a big plus, especially if Microsoft's online gaming strategy pans out. Four controller ports on the box, progressive scan output on all games, and DD5.1 sound make this the most impressive system visually and sonically. The controller is good for the most part, but they really made the buttons too small, too close together, and too far to reach. It won't detract from your gameplay too much, but you'll find yourself hunting for buttons every now and then.

Software - The titles so far are a decent mix of genres, and I'm happy to say include several must-buy games. There are a lot of great sports games (Madden, Inside Drive, Transworld Surf, SSX Tricky), and they all look fantastic. In fact, rest assured that most Xbox titles, whether excellent (Halo) or mediocre (Wreckless) will all have tons of eye candy. The future looks bright, with lots of great games coming from Sega, good first party support from Microsoft, and lots of PC developers jumping onto the console bandwagon through the Xbox (Molyneux/Project Ego). Xbox will also be a strong simulation racing platform, so if you like Indy, Nascar, MotoGP, or just plain car simulations, the Xbox will give the PS2 a run for its money in this category.

Gamecube

Hardware - Great things can come in small packages. The Gamecube is ranked between the Xbox and PS2 in terms of graphic/sonic prowess, and is near the Xbox in terms of ease of development. There are four controller ports, and one of the best designed controllers on the market. If you've held one, you'll know why. The console supports progressive scan output, but not all the games do; fortunately, support for progressive scan output is gaining support and should be standard on most new games. Although the games sound good, output is limited to Dolby Pro Logic II, which is a disappointment unless you own a reciever equipped with a DPLII decoder.

Software - So far, the lineup has been a little behind Microsoft's in terms of quantity, but the quality of most games has been above average. Sports have been covered pretty well, and Sega's release of Home Run King should spice things up a bit in March, but overall sports lineup has been smaller than on the PS2 or Xbox. The Gamecube has two aces in the hole for this year; Resident Evil saga, and first-party titles. Capcom will release a remake of RE1, followed by enhanced ports of 2, 3, and Code: Veronica X, followed by the all new RE4. First party games for this year will most likely include Star Fox, Mario Sunshine, and Metroid (Zelda will most likely be delayed till next year). BTW, if you like pro wrestling, look for WWF Wrestlemania X8 to kick some major azz this summer. The flow of titles should be much more solid than with the N64, with more Japanese developers on board. So far though, most Gamecube games very fun (SSBM, Monkey Ball, Pikmin), and very multi-player centered.

Maurice Verploegen

Stunt Coordinator
Masood,

Wow, you should be a writer for a magazine!

Great piece of information. Thanks a lot. That was exactly what I was looking for. I think you pretty much summed it up. This whole time I was leaning towards X-Box, and you pretty much gave me more reasons to go with this system. I am looking for a system not just for now, but also for the future. The X-Box seems to be really geared towards that. I think the best has yet to come with this system. Although I have been hearing a lot lately about some X-Box bugs. Do you know about this? Are these resolved yet?

You right about my the Pioneer Line-doubler. I wonder which will look better. Go progressive out of the X-Box, or use the Pioneer line doubler. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Thanks again Masood.

Maurice

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Maurice,
Hello and good morning to you:)
My advice to you is to go ahead and do a search on the forum as this subject has been discussed ad nauseum. You will find more than enough discussion and opinion (and some argument unfortunately) on this very topic.
Good luck and enjoy the whichever system you choose!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Maurice,

The best thing to do is to look at the games for each console and see which machine has the best selection of titles that are of interest to you. At the end of the day, it's all about the games.

Regarding which console is technicaly suited for your demands, you may want to check the FAQ in this forum.

Dan (UK)

Andre F

Screenwriter
I have a 'Cube and PS2. I think the 'Cube purchase will pay off in the future but right now all I play is my PS2. Once the XBox has more high quality games out I may have to get that as well. However, I would recommend the PS2 right now. Of course in six months this could all change.

-Andre F

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
HDTV + 5.1 + sports games = XBOX! Plus as a bonus you get to play Halo! Also having a built in hard drive and Ethernet connection are nice too.

I have not played PS2 but own GameCube, XBOX and Dreamcast. Right now XBOX gets the most play-time.

I'm really hoping Nintendo delivers some awesome titles down the road - but if you are buying now you can't go wrong with an XBOX.

As stated earlier it all comes down to games - check out the sport selections and reviews around the web and see what looks good to you. A lot of sports games are released across multiple platforms and when they are it seems that at least graphically the XBOX tends to wins out...

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
If you're really after mostly sports games, then I would recommend the Dreamcast. For only $49.00 you get access to the best collection of sports games for any system. NFL2K, NBA2K, and Virtual Tennis 2 all of which, unlike the 'latest and greatest' consoles, can be played online. Sports gaming is at its finest against online competition.

I've got all the consoles, and appreciate their respective strengths, but when the fellas are over for some sports gaming, it's still the Dreamcast.

Kip

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Hi, Maurice. I doubt anyone can sum up the three consoles better than Masood did, but I wanted to comment on your line doubler question. I've got a Pro-610HD, and while the picture is pretty darn good through the Pioneer line doubler, the progressive-scan is definitely a step up. If you do decide on the 'box, I would recommend the extra $20 to get the progressive scanning and the digital audio out.

Halo is a good example of this--the opening movie with the Pillar of Autumn has a lot of diagonal moving lines in it, and with an interlaced connection these lines were a little jagged. Not distractingly so, but if you were looking at it, you would notice it. With the progressive connection, those lines smoothed out a lot.

I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you end up choosing!

Maurice Verploegen

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,

That is good to know. Well it seems like the X-Box is the overall favorite here. Specially hardware wise. Like I stated before, I am not as much of a gamer as all of you are. I know that there aren't to many games for the "X-Box" right now. But I can stad to wait. Thanks to you all for the great input.

Maurice

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Don't have an X-Box, but based on all the info I can gather, its the best one for people who are just getting into the next-gen consoles. Doesn't require a love for one company or another, has a lot of great games, and has the most potential of any console out there.

So I would also have to recommend an X-Box.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I have both XBOX and PS2.
While I have had fun with both systems, I truly doubt XBOX has staying power.
I know more people who are buying PS2's over XBOX systems.
If you can only buy one console, I'd recommend the PS2.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
While I have had fun with both systems, I truly doubt XBOX has staying power.
Not to start any kind of flame war... but I doubt your statement...

X-Box already has more games out, I believe, than the PS2 did at this point in its lifetime... And I actually see the opposite trend... If I know someone buying a new console today, it is the X-Box...

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Dan Brecher has the best advice - look at the games.

Right now the PS2 library is tough to beat.

By the end of the summer the Xbox will have built up enough of a library of games to - IMHO - even that factor out.

Add online gaming - if that is important to you - and the decision may be even easier.

Games on the XBox that I am looking forward to are: The Thing, Morrowwind, Project Ego, Rallisport Challenge, and Knockout Kings 2002.

Also for me 5.1 sound in gaming is a BIG difference. That's even with the fact that current games aren't fully utilizing 5.1 properly - most have ignored the centre channel.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Depends on the types of games you like. I would recommend the Gamecube as I feel it has the most innovative and interesting games. The Game Boy Advance/GCN connection is also going to provide some interesting opportunities.

My hands are twitching just thinking about Mario Sunshine, Star Fox Adventures, Zelda, and Sonic. The new games have been excellent too - particularly Pikmin.

WilliamS

Agent
GameCube is where it's at for me these days. Although it been a dry 2002 so far, Waverace and Madden have been keepig me busy. Not to mention Pikmin and Super Samsh Bros. Plus there's a crop of titles I won't need to mention due to the most comprehensive essay written on the subject just ten or so posts above.

I've played Halo for XBox and it felt almost like the second coming of Goldeneye. It's stellar. Which makes me really want Perfect Dark Zero for Gamecube (it made by the folks who did Goldeneye for the N64).

If you can find a used PS2 for cheap than you can't go wrong, but if you're buying something new, then I suggest getting a system with a little more tork under it's hood -- XBox or GameCube.

One tip: don't buy a game system for the sole purpose of playing DVDs. With the PS2 the eye is very fickle and some people can't play certain formatted DVDs on the system -- like DVD9s.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you are just getting into consoles, I would recommend the X-Box because it represents the best available. If you don't like the games on it, don't have broadband internet, or are just put off by it, then I would recommend the PS2.

I really can't recommend a GameCube right now since the other two consoles beat it in software and hardware. Overall, the GCN is a nice console, but only if you like the games on it (which I actually do).

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Morgan, I'm not sure I would agree that the other two consoles beat the GCN in software and hardware, although I admire you for making that statement. Certainly Gamecube games look amazing, and I think hardware-wise the GCN probably has a leg up on the PS2. The lack of DD5.1 and progressive scan on the Cube may give the Xbox the nod going strictly by specs, but as you've correctly pointed out in the past, an awful lot of people don't have the equipment that would demonstrate that.

As far as software, it is true that neither Microsoft or Nintendo will ever catch Sony's 10 jillion title library, but Nintendo does have those 1st party gems all to itself, while a good portion of the big Xbox titles will also be available on the PS2, and some on the Gamecube as well.

I know you are very happy with your Gamecube and I appreciate that you are being so impartial in your recommendations, but I think maybe you're not giving Nintendo enough credit! I love my Xbox, and I covet the PS2 because I want to play FFX so bad I can't sleep at night. But Nintendo's console has a lot going for it, too! As people keep saying, it all comes down to the games. If a potential buyer likes Nintendo's current lineup, and especially if they are a fan of the big Nintendo franchises, I would definitely recommend a Gamecube.

...which I think is pretty much what you said, now that I am rereading my post. But I guess I wanted to point out that in my opinion there is not a huge gap between the Cube and the other two, as I think perhaps your email implied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks