what my professor said:

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Im a junior at the Univ of Florida.

My Computer Science teacher says this to the class today:

"When you take your final, it will be the beginning of a season of discontent."

How mean.

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Perhaps he just doesn't like Christmas?

3. Rain

Rain Producer

Good thing he doesn't teach English, since he's misquoted Shakespeare.

4. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

im pretty sure he meant the final will be pretty damn hard

5. Janna S

Janna S Second Unit

Maybe he said "season" rather than "winter" because Florida doesn't really have winter.

(Six degrees here this morning!)

6. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Well, my prof took 12% of my grade because my diagrams were 'sloppy', although 100% correct.
    I think he just wanted to spite me because I don't come to class.
    [​IMG]

7. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Most professors = dicks

Trust me, there's a huge difference between being hard so that it'll prepare you for the job or courses ahead, and being just a plain asshole.

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

having gone from the professional world into acadamia, take what your prof's say and do with a grain of salt.

people in acadamia don't live in the real world, when my profs start in on the "well in the REAL WORLD" bullshit I tune out ASAP

professors don't make a whole lot. usually less than a professional in their field. So they A.) can't make it in the so-called REAL WORLD or B.) Love teaching.

now based on your observations, and their attitude which is more likely?

9. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

The ones that love teaching always stand out. When you cross them, sign up for every course they teach and you will have an enriching collegiate experience.
    I would say that about 50% of my profs were good. And some of the ones that weren't were downright awful.
    That being said, I have considered pursuing a Ph.D. just to become a prof. Why? I really do love to teach. I find it highly rewarding. And considering the politics, BS, and general nonsense busy work that goes on in the real world, I'm not totally convinced the extra money is always worth it. I can see where INTERESTING research would have much more pull than an extra $15K (55-70 is all the same to me, quality of life is worth the diff).
    Plus, most engineers never come near women, let alone hot coeds. [​IMG] Another on-campus perk.

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I have been lucky enough to cross several outstanding instructors. one in particular I've taken probably 8-10 credits of classes from. He's an MD that doesn't practice anymore (far as I know anyway) in favor of teaching. His tests suck ass though [​IMG]

11. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

A guy I work with used to teach a class (intro to DOS) at the local community college. He doesn't have a degree. He was told if he wanted to finish his degree, he would have to take his own class.

If that doesn't explain how full of shit the educational system is, I don't know what does.

12. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

I apologize if any of my post is too strongly worded (or embarrassingly passionate), but some of your gripes are hitting awfully close to home. I'm in my fourth year of doctoral work, have taught university courses for a number of years, and hope someday to find a tenure-track position teaching American lit and film.

13. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

14. Matt Kasprzak

Knowing nothing more about the teacher than what you state in your post, I would take the statement as a challenge, and use it to motivate myself when studying. How gratifying it might be to ace that exam, no?

15. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

Aceing the exam would be satisfying, which is ultimitely what I did since I got the 23 and he finally ended up grading on a curve. The class was on computer vision and he liked to throw in a bunch or real intense math and algorithms which were pretty hard to understand. Actually they weren't that hard - it's just that he couldn't teach them in a way that you could understand it. For example, he spent a week teaching basic sampling theory, which I can teach anybody in 2 minutes using a simple diagram, but he opted for blackboard after blackboard of very complex math who even had an attending math professor completely baffled.

I could go on and on, but the fact was that he would express open glee as soon as it was apparent that he lost everybody, and then would go on and on from there. It was if he wanted to impress us with his knowlegde more than teach us anything (and this was a graduate course). I felt fortunate to get a B from the class (which signifantly lowered my GPA).

And what happened to this sadist? The last I heard he was promoted to department head. The cream do not always rise to the top.

16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    First, about the "Season of Discontent" [​IMG] Ah how I miss finals...NOT! (he says, hoping his thesis experiments work)
    Here's a little finals wisdom for you:
    Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.
    Good luck!
    Thought Darren beat me to it [​IMG] but I'll wade in as well:
    The people bashing "academics" don't seem to have much experience with the Academy.
    Professors make less than than they could in industry. But it's certainly not for lack of ability. Given the greater than 100-to-1 application to fill physics positions, I could argue that the professors chosen are far more qualified, than a person in a given industry job.
    Many professors (especially in science & engineering) have their own companies, consulting businesses, etc. so they are acutely aware of the "real" world, as well as the academic world. Also, research funding comes from a mix of government and corporate grants, which are based on technological needs. Professors must be aware of industrial applications for some measure of grant proposals. Finally, go to any academic conference, and you will find a large exhibitors' hall, with companies touting their products.
    As for the degree-less friend teaching "intro to DOS" -- that sounds like the continuing adult education courses the local high school system offers (along with swing dance and boiler repair) -- was that really a for-credit college course? If so, that's a problem with your local CC, and not connected to the "educational system".
    As for all professors being [insert rude words] -- huh? No more than anyone else. People are people, and there are both nice and mean ones everywhere, not just teaching at college.
    As anyone who's taught before knows: Those who can't teach, don't actually know the material (and not that other incorrect aphorism :p) )