What musical reciever any suggestions?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Wayne Gordon, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Wayne Gordon

Wayne Gordon Auditioning

want to buy a musical reciever in the $500-$700 range, any suggestions thank you

2. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

A lot of people say the Marantz are musical. I use mine for HT though. Check out the 6200(last years model) or check out the 7300 that's what I have. You can buy them new or you could check out www.accessoriesforless.com for a refurbished one. Totally happy with mine. I have only heard good things about the 6200 also. I have read a lot of unfavorable post on the 7300 at first but now the reviews are better.

3. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Second that, I have the 8200. I'm happy with it for both music and HT, especially now with SACD/DVD-A as well.

I don't know what prices are like in the US, but sounds like at your range you'd be looking at either the 6300 or 7300.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

what may i ask are the attributes or requirements of a musical receiver? two channel only or....

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

[Poster has deleted smart-alecky comment.]

[​IMG]

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Gee, I would've been looking for a receiver that complemented my speakers. Marantz is nice though.

I think, Wayne, that you need to rethink your question and search. The receiver you choose, whatever it is, should be predicated on the type of speakers you have. By that, I mean, their power capability, sensitivity, and impedance curves. For example, if your speakers are 4 ohm nominal impedance, it would make sense to look for receivers that specifically specified power into this impedance.

Apart from that, you need to properly define what the requirements of this receiver are. Strictly 2 channel? Number of inputs/outputs. Is a phono stage needed? New, used? Is proximity to potential service desireable or not?

Really, there are many choices out there, but for starters you've given far too little information for anyone to even make an attempt at presenting you with items that you can put on your short list. Kind of like saying, I'd like to go to a restaurant, any suggestions? You need to focus yourself a bit more.

7. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

8. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

9. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

If you want seafood I recommend Cantler's Riverside Inn in Annapolis, MD. Outstanding!

[​IMG]

Mark

10. Wayne Gordon

Wayne Gordon Auditioning

want to purchase reciever for a stereo set up driving ascend cbm 170s and possibly a sub maybe HT in future, want ext in inputs for sacd, would Marantz still be the way to go thanks

11. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Stereo only? Then no way should you go for the Marantz or any other "home theater" receiver. Put all your money into those two channels, and look at some of the integrated amps from NAD and Rotel. There may be others, but these two are generally the best of the "budget audiophile" products.

Also, I've heard that Outlaw is preparing to debut a stereo receiver... might be worth looking into, as their venerable 1050 is a wonderfully "musical" receiver for the price.

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

As others have noted here, posts that ask "I have $XX to spend, what should I get?" and nothing else don't wash well here at HTF. It's always best to show that you have at least done a little research, as well as offering some background info (rest of the equipment and what you'll be using the new unit for). Also, as Chu (and Angelo) indicates: Receiver "sound" is (in reality) a non-debatable issue that gets debated a lot (to no end).

13. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

The Ascends, which are fairly attractively priced and well regarded, are stated to be an 8 ohm speaker, but myself, I'd peg it closer to 6. They would certainly benefit from a sub and as I'm sure you're aware of, they do sell a package.

Since you're envisioning HT, and are probably looking to get maximum bang for the buck, seriously worth considering are factory renewed models. As stated by others above, Accessories4Less carries Marantz at good prices. Also worth considering would be something like the HK525 (factory serviced) at about $550 from onecall.com. Why not pop over to http://ww1.onecall.com/About_00001000_17_51_0_0_0_0.htm and see if anything there floats your boat? There's quite a bit to choose from if you want to be somewhat flexible.

BTW, no offence on the musical receiver thing. Myself, I'd be looking for something with power specs into 4 ohms. Why don't you pick 2 or 3 contenders and maybe we can hash it out...point out pros/cons/issues/ etc.

14. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    A combination of electronics DOES influence the sound. The amp section itself may not be the deciding factor, but the DACs and associated processing WILL affect the resulting sound.

I agree with Rich, that if this is for 2ch ONLY, go for an Integrated instead of a receiver. For 2ch I went with a Marantz PM7000 integrated because I got a good deal on it, and it has a nice amp section. Probably not as good as a NAD or Rotel, but it also cost me less.

Check www.audiogon.com for used NAD and Rotel integrateds.

For HT, Chu's suggestion of AC4L.com for Marantz is spot on. I would recommend you take a look at their speakers as well, as this is where I picked up my Mordaunt Short MS902s for $250 shipped.

16. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

Would agree with John Garcia re: NAD and Rotel but, as usual, would also recommend looking at Harman Kardon. They have receivers for the price you mentioned and they are find favor among those who lean to the musical side.

17. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

A non debatable subject that gets debated about. Odd isn't it? [​IMG]

As far as the suggestions go: Marantz and HK are a good solid suggestion for the $$.