What's new

What music to test my subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
kevitra, I never noticed any breaking up of her vocals. That track sounded perfectly ok to me, great recording, great singing and great music.

In fact I'm listening to it right now on my computer, and I'm not noticing any breakup on the vocals. Then again, the 4 speakers on my PC setup(a pair of modified Sherwood S-270 bookshelves and a pair of KEF C40 standmounters) are by no means full range speakers, I don't get much sound below 50Hz...

kevitra

Second Unit
Sihan Goi-

The 'break up' sounds like pops/crackles in her voice. It occurs in the very high frequency ranges. Your speakers may not be able to reproduce it (that old saying about how better speakers reveal everything )

I will listen tonight and give you a time # to listen for (that is if you really want to hear it - once you do, you will *always* notice it).

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Please, call me Goi :)
Anyway, I'll keep an ear out for that. I was listening to that CD for quite a bit on my main system(TagMcLaren AV32R, Rotel RMB-1095, PSB Stratus Goldi), and I'd like to think its capable of revealing almost everything...but I wasn't scrutinizing the sound I guess.

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also looking for bass CDs, and I'll be going to the store later to check out the titles mentioned here... but so far, i tried Jennifer Warnes, "The Hunter" and it really gives solid bass, and great vocals too. I haven't checked out her new album yet.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Here's a list of songs I listen to that have GOOD BASS

CCR - I Put a Spell On You

The Hollies - Long Cool Women in a Black Dress

Buck Owens - Rollin' In My Sweet Baby's Arms

Buck Owens - Made in Japan

I know these are old songs but they have pretty good bass on the systems I play them on. But I got some newer songs my brother normally listens to.

Santana - Smooth

Santana - Maria Maria

Sir Mix A Lot - Big Butts (baby got back) (I know. This song sucks)

And basically any of those crappy rap songs.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Kevin: Yeah, RHCP has some awesome basslines, but the one i have, BLOOD SUGAR SEX MAGIK i find lacking in the low end. I still havent gotten around to picking up Californication...

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator
Folks, listen to Obi...El Oso by Soul Coughing has some pretty intense bass and its a great (and eclectic) album.

Also check out To Be An Angel Blind, The Crippled Soul Divide by Tear Garden and Disco Volante by Mr. Bungle.

That Tear Garden disc especially has some serious extension!

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
The eminiem show! wow track 3,5,10-15-18 are crazy. 10 is tons of fun!
Swollen Members-17 BOOM! (spelling?);)

DanielSmi

Second Unit
opening scene in gladiator ois good for bass when the vases of liquid fires are shot from the catapalts and land plus good background music, Independence Day has a very bassy soundtrack. How about those bass cd's that are for guys with the systems in their cars, they have names like "ultimate bass hits", "ghetto booty bass mix 2000", these aren't actual names of cd's (they might be though) but they have names simialiar to these.

Daniel Smith

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
We just updated the svs site with a bunch of pipe organ 3-D waterfalls. Goto the FAQ and then click on the bassy scenes. Lots of stuff

Larry B

Screenwriter
Dianna Krall's "My Love." (Sorry, but I foeget which album this is on.) It has some outstanding double bass.

Larry

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
FWIW here, we've recently added a number of music measurements (many now in high resolution color charting) that give some objective basis to what's hot, and what's not.
Some of the organ passages in particular provide a chance for your sub to demonstrate very high amplitude bass in distinctly low, and lower music fundamentals.
Needless to say we're making notes on what you folks discovered above. Measuring and adding these charts is pretty time consuming but I think a real eye opener on what stress a sub can be asked to endure.
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#musicdemos
Keep in mind this isn't some sort of equalized subwoofer overkill being measured in a room. This is the bass measured directly off the CD in question.
"Demanding" isn't the word that comes to mind. Try tortuous.
Ron

Doug_NHT

Stunt Coordinator
The Crystal Method and Rob Zombie's HellBilly Deluxe and Sinister Urge. Any of Zombie's re-mixes will do ya right as well...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Diana Krall Live in Paris DVD is quite impressive also. Most people that come over are just speachless when I put that in.
I have the recent Sade DVD also, and while it's good, it's not as well recorded as the Diana Krall disc.
opening scene in gladiator is good for bass when the vases of liquid fires are shot from the catapUlts and land plus good background music, Independence Day has a very bassy soundtrack
Note that we are talking about MUSIC...
Crystal Method :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: (both albums! both are great, but start with Vegas)

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
I'm reviving this old thread because I finished my DIY Sub (290L Tempest, 17.5Hz) a couple of weeks ago and I was looking for some music demos.
One I found that wasn't mentioned here was "Joe Slam and the Spaceship" from Harry Connick, Jr's CD, "She." I could always tell there was recorded content that I wasn't hearing, now I think I'm hearing it. :) The whole album is pretty cool. If you haven't heard it, don't think "Sinatra big band stuff." Think "electric bass, B-3 Organ, funk."
Any others now that it's revived?
JKS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks