What's new

What music to test my subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

chella

Stunt Coordinator
My favs are:

Dire Straits - On Every Street

Moby - Play (most of the tracks)

Madonna - Music (Hay Mr. DJ)

Santana - Supernatural

Movies:

Saving Private Ryan

U571

and Matrix of course.

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
If you wanna test if the sub has "fast" bass, try Death´s the sound of perseverence, mainly the first track. There´s a double bass from hell in this song, and I have seen some subs trasnforming this double bass in a mush of rumble. A good sub would isolated each kick stroke.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Oh yeah,, if you buy the Telarc 1812 Overture, start slow. The cannons don't go off until about the 10 minute mark and they are way above the level of the rest. I don't think you could hurt the Rava but it will sure scare the crap out of you. More than anything it will cause your amp to clip which can fry speakers in a hurry.
Which version are you guys referring to, the CD or the SACD?

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
My experience is only with the CD version.
B000003CSG.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I would love to hear the SACD.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
I'd also recommend the "Audio" CD or DVD-A disc from Blue Man Group. Great percussions on almost all, if not all tracks, with superb recording...

"Surfacing" from Sarah McLachlan is also a great CD with great recording and songs. Track 2 starts off with really low bass that causes stuff in my room to shake when I use my Servo-15.

Brian McKnight's "Superhero" album also has a bassy track 2 called "When you wanna come".

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yep, that Sarah track is cool. Dum dummm DUUUMMMMM!!!!!! Its so low. I actually think it might be a node in my room now that I think about it. I should investigate.
How many people here choose to listen to music based on the bass content of the program material? I do that quite often. I LOVE BASS :)

Try The Great Fantasy Adventure Album from Conductor Eric Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops. This one actually has a warning label on the back "Caution: Digital Sound Effects with infrasonic frequencies to 5Hz." This is nothing to play around with, so be careful and increase the volume gradually! Honestly, this CD is well worth having: it's bass heavy, beautifully recorded, has some awesome sound effects, and to top it all off-great music! I'd recommend this one to anybody who loves movie music.

Jason

Jim Garbern

Stunt Coordinator
As Dr. Hsu himself points out, Bela Fleck's Flight of the Cosmic Hippo is an excellent test for the musicality of the subwoofer, and features one the best electric bassists alive, Victor Wooten. The title track is the best demo.

Ryan Stone

Auditioning
Master P- Burbons and Lacs
The lyrics to the song are "this is for the burbans and the cadillacs with the tens and the twelves bumpin in the back".
The song was made for people with subwoffers. :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I almost forgot, Sarah McLachlan's "Remixed" has plenty of good techno remixes, with plenty of bass for those of you who like Sarah.

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Bjork - Hyperballad
Wyclef Jean - Gone till November
Santana - The Calling
Slimboy Phat - Get it right
Trance[]Control - This is my house (mp3.com)
Robbie Williams - Rock DJ
Janet Jackson - Together Again
Tribe called quest - Find a way
Fredro Starr - Ballad of Firestarr
Luniz & Eminem - I got five on it
I'm sure you can find something out of this list :)

Tom Beski

Agent
I really enjoy Bare Naked Ladies!!!!!!.....

Oh wait...this is a music question.....OK, for a good CD to workout my sub I really enjoy Barenaked Ladies - "All Their Greatest Hits: 1991-2001" A good recording with strong quick bass!!

Tom

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
...Boy! What an eclectic mix!

If you really want to test your bass, why not grab some Miami-sound , old-school bass groups:

2 Live Crew (Nasty as the wanna be album)

Bass Mechanic

Sir Mixalot (I Like Big Butts)

I also like:

Beastie Boys(Any Album...Brass Monkey is listed on SVS)

Dead Can Dance (the first song on "Into the Labyrinth)

Van Halen 1984 "Top Jimmy" has good driving mid-bass

MC 900 ft. Jesus "If I only had a brain"

Seal (first album... good club bass)

Maybe:

Sinead O'Conner "Nothing Compares 2U"

Martix Soundtrack

Soundtrack from The Arnie movie where he fights the devil

And a second vote for Orbital, Wyclef, Tribe called Quest, Chemical Brothers, Santana, Metalica, Madonna...

Robert George

Screenwriter
Hmmm, how many of you have heard of a band called Soul Coughing? Very unusual sound. Track 2 on "El Oso" is my favorite bass demo for music.

kevitra

Second Unit
FYI to the sarah lovers (myself begin one):

On Surfacing track 2 (the bass track titled "I love you"), listen to her vocals. You will hear them break up quite often. I read that that it was caused by the recording equipment not being able to handle the range (I DO NOT have verification of this..just read it online). It annoys me..ruins the song actually.

Gabor

Auditioning
I've heard it at Home Entertainment 2001 in NY. A dealer was demoing his WATT Puppies with it. Just amazing. I bought it and love it still (for the music, not only the sound):

Mickey Hart/Planet Drum: Supralingua. It's an HDCD treat. The best for demoing your sub is UMASHA (the first track) of the bonus CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks