What Music in this Candy Bar Commercial?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jason_Els, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

A friend of mine is going BATS (and therefore driving me to the same state), trying to find what movie the music in this candy bar commercial is from. It's the commercial entitled, Words. The first part sounds familiar to me too. The second part is some rock music but he doesn't care about that, just the symphonic part.

Thanks to anyone who cracks this. My friend needs to keep what little sanity he has left [​IMG] .

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Movement II of Ludwig van Beethoven's Symphony No. 7 in A Major, Opus 92

[​IMG]

3. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

You're a god.

Thank you!!

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Thomas is right, and that is a great symphony (Beethoven's best, and possibly my favorite of any symphony). Unfortunately, many versions of this don't use the right tempo, and have a tendency to play too fast, especially the second movement. In my opinion, the best version to get is Bernstein with the Vienna Philharmonic. The cd also has Symphony 1, and is Deutsche Grammophon 419 434-2.

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

George, I can't find the CD on Amazon. Help? [​IMG]

6. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

ThomasC

I just sent off an email to

http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com/

To see if they have it, I am also looking for it.....

If they have it I will pass on the info to you.

Rhett

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well classical cds go out of print all the time. If you can manage to track down Bernstein's version with the Vienna Philharmonic, it might be on a different cd, but would be well worth it.

As an alternative, Carlos Kleiber (also with the Vienna Philharmonic) has probably the second best version of Beethoven's 7th, and definitely the best version of the 5th. It appears that Amazon has a cd available with both of these. I have them as two separate cds, DG 415 861-2 and DG 415 862-2, but it looks like they're packaged together at Amazon (and for only $10.99).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...891244-2733541

8. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Again my thanks. Being able to recommend a good version of the piece is icing on the cake.

9. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

Another enjoyable performance of Beethoven's 7th well worth owning is on Sony CD #48158 with George Szell conducting the Cleveland Orchestra. Szell disc at Amazon It includes Symphony No. 4 in B flat major, Op. 60 and König Stephan (King Stephen), incidental music, Op. 117 Overture in addition to a superlative rendition of Symphony No. 7 in A major, Op. 92. Since you are specifically interested in the second movement of the 7th, I'll have to admit to liking Szell's reading of that particular movement a bit more than Kleiber's.

While Kleiber's performance of the 7th is magnificent, the real reason to buy the Kleiber disc is his towering interpretation of the 5th. Of the dozen-or-so versions of the 5th in my collection, Kleiber's is truly the one by which the others must be measured. I don't think you can own too many versions of a Beethoven symphony, and the Szell and Kleiber discs are relatively inexpensive. So getting two outstanding interpretations of the 7th along with what is arguably the best 5th out there and a really classy 4th is a worthwhile bonus for a relatively small investment (the Szell disc is only $6.98 at Amazon).

Enjoy!

10. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Sorry, the place I usually use for classical music doesn't have it.. [​IMG]

But thanks for the links, I just ordered both from amazon.....

R~