What's new

What Movies Have Special Meaning To You? (1 Viewer)

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
There's a lot of talk about favorites and why they are. Be it superior story or execution or fun involved. My question, is are there any movies you like for sentimental reasons? For Instance:
Labyrinth is so special to me for a number of reasons. One, I just love the movie. Two, it's one that I shared with my daughter who passed away and she enjoyed it as much as me. Three, my other daughter loves it very much too. It seems to elevate it another notch, at least to me.
The Phantom Menace is one that I took my son to go see, and it was really awesome to watch him fall in love with the Star Wars movies just as I did twenty years earlier.
Powder OK, I don't care all that much for the movie, but it was the first movie that my wife and I saw together at the movies.
Raising Cain I saw this at a drive-in and it was during this movie that I touched my first female breast.
Police Academy My dad took me to see this right after my parents divorce was final. He came and asked me what I wanted to do, and I said I wanted to see this. And even more importantly, it was my first Steve Guttenberg experience.
So, do you have any movies that are a little extra special to you?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Dark Star - This is the first movie I can remember seeing. I saw it at a drive-in with my parents a long, long time ago...
The Wizard of Oz - Not really a favorite, but it was the first movie to really scare me. Hey, that wicked witch is pretty scary when you're four or five.
Eraserhead - The first movie to make me say: "What the hell is this?" :D
The Piano - I've always thought Holly Hunter was cute and she got really naked in this one. Enough said.
The Third Man - This is the movie that made me realize how good movies can be.
Paths of Glory - My first exposure to the genius of Kubrick.
Aguirre: The Wrath of God - My first foreign-language film and still one of my favorites.
The Thin Red Line - The last movie I saw at the theater with my late father. He was big on WWII flicks.

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
Raising Cain I saw this at a drive-in and it was during this movie that I touched my first female breast.
oh how the memories come back. I still remember sitting with Jenny Thompson. She was sitting their watching the movie, while I tried desperately to get to first base. I can still recall the movie, it was Lilo and Stitch :D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Abel Gance's masterpiece, Napoleon.

It was the first silent feature I laid my eyes on and I was hooked. It also established my appreciation and love for cinematography. Before this movie...I was just another movie watcher. Star Wars was the best movie I had seen yet...and probably the oldest. It's essentially a textbook on filmmaking...a best-seller, IMO.

Around the World in Eighty Days is another. It's the oldest movie I remember seeing more often than any other. It's still one of my favorites.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Well, everyone knows that Lawrence of Arabia is my favorite movie. But, I do have some sentimental feelings towards it too, as it was the very first movie that I saw on a home theater system. It was at my dad's house, on a (huge at the time) 52 inch big screen tv. He had me over the same day that he bought Lawrence of Arabia on laserdisc! That was many years ago, but I still remember it like it was yesterday!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The Gold Rush - my introduction to both Chaplin and silent films. The scene where he is stood up on New Year's Eve resonates with me for the many, many similar nights before I met my wife.

The Sting - the first non-G movie I was allowed to go see.

A Hard Day's Night - it's hard to explain, but watching this as a teenager (long after the Beatles had broken up), I felt a real affinity with those four guys.

Father of the Bride - my wife and I watch this every year on our anniversary

Rear Window - my introduction to Hitchcock

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Five come to mind, immediately.
Like many of us between the ages of 30 and 40, Star Wars was the film that triggered a life-long love of the movies. I was nine when I saw it, and things haven't been the same since.
Ben-Hur and Gone with Wind showed me how history could also be drama. (ten at the time)
2001 was the first movie that challenged my intellect and made me see film as a medium to express ideas, rather than a linear, plot-and-character-based excuse to eat popcorn. (13 years old)
Excalibur - got me interested in Medieval English literature and mythology, and helped engender an Anglophilia that still exists today. (13 years old)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Fiddler on the Roof. Even though I am 37, my love of films came six years before Star Wars. I saw this at least five times when it first came out.
Citizen Kane. Believe it or not, I didn't see this until College, when I got to see a very nice film copy at a private screening. The first time a film actually made me numb.
Ben-Hur. The last film I saw at the glorious Cooper Cinerama theater in Denver before it was torn down. Probably the peak of my entire film watching life.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Fiddler's a great movie, John. I'm directing a production of it at my high school next May. :emoji_thumbsup:

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
"Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"-Inspired my love of Hollywood culture at the age of 6, and started a life-long love affair with the works and looks of Kathleen Turner.

"Back To The Future" trilogy-This movie and its sequels have helped me through 6 years of struggle and turmoil.

"Earth Girls Are Easy"-You all knew this was coming, but here's why...it's the first non-Disney musical I ever watched all the way through, it added more gas to my 80s fan fire, and it inspired a crush on Geena Davis.

Sincerely,

John "Has crushes on many actresses" Kilduff

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
There are many movies that are very special to me, so I'll just list the dumb movies that have significance in my life:
Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot The first movie I saw with friends rather than parents.
Judge Dredd The first R rated movie I saw at the show
Dude, Where's My Car? The first time I realized that not only are my friends ignorant when it comes to picking a movie to watch, but also the first time I realized that none of my friends (except for one) will ever appreciate film

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Star Wars
- Got me liking movies in the first place. Made me want to travel into outer space to seek out adventure and excitement. Unfortunately I'm overweight, and the space program is years behind. :frowning:
Glory
- I'll always remember my history teacher for other things, but this one will stand out for a long time. It quickly became one of my favorites.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
A Hard Day's Night - it's hard to explain, but watching this as a teenager (long after the Beatles had broken up), I felt a real affinity with those four guys.
People have always tried to "explain" why so many people were infatuated with The Beatles. Although it does go a bit further than this, I would have to say ITS THE MUSIC!
Of course it doesn't hurt that all four of these guys had plenty of charisma to go around!

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
Searching for Bobby Fischer - I prefer movies based on a true story.......if it is a good story. This film is inspirational, uplifting and just a good family movie to watch. I guess I also like it because I was quite the athlete in high school and I still have that competitive drive. It doesn't hurt that the star reminds me of my nephew. :D
"Don't move until you see it."
Shadowlands - again, based on a true story, and a very good story at that. I am partial as it does star one of my fav actors Anthony Hopkins (thanks to SOtL). But, again, it is an inspirational story, although at times sad, but just makes me feel that there really is love that withstands boundaries in this crazy world we live in.
"Pain is God's megaphone to rouse a deaf world." (Amen, I hear loud and clear)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Blade Runner (and trust me I will not get into interpretations and meaning of the film, no one is more bored of that than I)
I first saw this in my early teens at the theater and immediately loved it. Back then, I thought Deckard was cool and the Replicant factor intrigued me even at that young age, simplistic view yes, but I was young. I've seen it several times a year since then and my perception of the movie has changed over the years. These changes have only been because I've changed also, I'm assuming. The dark, moody, happy, melancholy, challenging times in my life have all been filtered through my love and constant viewing of this film.
Although, Lawrence of Arabia is my favorite film for sheer spectacle and entertainment. None is closer to my heart than Blade Runner , it is part of my fabric.
Okay none of that made sense, but how the hell do you describe something like that?

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Somewhere in Time
I was at Macanaw Island during the shooting of this film. I remember all of the trucks with the California plates on them and thought "wow, this is pretty cool". I met Christopher Reeve and Jeannot Szwarc. I was 10 at the time and remember clearly how nice Christopher Reeve was to my mom and me. Whenever I watch this film it makes me sad because of the present state of Mr. Reeve. I hope in his lifetime that he will be able to walk. That would put a smile on my face and I'm sure a lot of others in his situation.

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
Empire Strikes Back - The first Star Wars movie I remember seeing in the theater with my dad who passed on 15 years ago. I was seven at the time.
Attack of the Clones - The first Star Wars movie I took my son to see in the theater. He's five now.
Superman - How many times I sat in the kitchen and watched it on the movie channel when I was six or seven I'll never know. :) On a 13" tv black and white tv no less.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks