What's new

What movie to use?? (1 Viewer)

John*DB

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 4805 pj and Denon 1910. I also have an older RCA DVD player. I would like to compare old dvd player to new Denon. I just want to convince myself the Denon was a good buy.

What are some movies AND scenes to use to compare?

I of course will use Avia to calibrate everything...the movies would just be used to flip flop between dvds...not to calibrate proper settings.

I will be using DVI for 1910 and component or S-video for RCA player.

Thanks

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Superbit Fifth Element. WOW! That's a show off piece if ever there was one, for sound and video!

BTW, your RCA player is getting to get owned up and down by the Denon 1910. ;)

John*DB

Stunt Coordinator
Give me some specific scenes from ATOC..I know I know...the whole thing...but are there some specific scenes that a lot of people use?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Fifth Element Superbit did it for me using the Zenith DVB 318. Using Component video just stunning. Finding Nemo was pretty pretty impressive as well.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Fifth Element Superbit, Nemo, and AOTC are my show off pieces for the Zenith 318 over component or DVI. I'd use those movies on ANY DVD player as my show off pieces. They're amazing!

I sometimes use the asteroid chase scene (can't remember the chapter number but that is what it is called) to show off my picture AND sound.

John*DB

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys...

BTW -

Fifth Element was a totally obscure, weird movie. I couldn't get into it at all. What makes it so awesome? Why do HT members always use it to demo new players/speakers/receivers/etc ?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Fifth Element has a beautiful picture overall. One of the most impressive scenes video and audio is the Diva Scene. The sound envelopes you with her singing and the Diva is blue and even on S-video non-progressive, it was a demo for stunning colors and depth. Upscaling made my draw drop. Opening scene with archaeologist (Aziz Light :D ) was so beautiful from the sweat of his brow, to the dust of the pryamid and the texture of the alien suits was so detailed. Now based on HD I've seen the stores, this is the closest to HD if not as good in some respects as HD you can get. Don't get stuck on Fifth Element if you are not feeling it. Your dislike of the movie can take away your critical viewing, hence you not getting the full effect of the movie. Find a good movie, watch it in 720p or 1080i and enjoy it.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I hold reservations on finding nemo. While it's dazzling to anybody but the pickiest, if you are talking reference, the US release Nemo does have some annoying banding problems, etc due to not the greatest mastering.

Users who are viewing this thread