What movie songs do you think have been stiffed by the Academy Awards over the years?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Kilduff, Jan 8, 2002.

1. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

To me, songs help a movie gain a little more energy, power, romance or just plain humor. The Academy Awards have tried their best to acknowledge this over the years, but they've often failed. Here's an example:

The winner of the best original song for 1985 was "Say You, Say Me" by Lionel Richie from "White Nights". Now, consider some of the songs that could've taken its place as nominee and possible winner:

-"Crazy For You" from "Vision Quest" and "Into The Groove" from "Desperately Seeking Susan"-both performed by Madonna.

-"Don't You (Forget About Me)" from "The Breakfast Club",-performed by Simple Minds

-"Rhythm Of The Night" from "Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon"-performed by DeBarge

-"St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion)" from "St. Elmo's Fire"-performed by John Parr

-"A View To A Kill" from the film of the same name-performed by Duran Duran

-"We Don't Need Another Hero (Thunderdome)" from "Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome"-performed by Tina Turner

-"Back In Time" from "Back To The Future"-performed by Huey Lewis & The News.

-"Weird Science" from the movie of the same name-performed by Oingo Boingo

See, that's what I mean. All of the songs mentioned have lots of fans (though I may be the only onem on here who enjoys most of them), and garnered major chart success in movies and with Billboard, but they were stiffed at the Oscars.

So, what original songs from movies do you feel should've won Academy Award nominations and double, triple or quadruple-tied for best original song? Any decade at all is loaded with forgotten by the Academy movie songs.

Sincerely,

John "If it helps, the Gershwins and Irving Berlin lost a lot of their nominations" Kilduff

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Van Morrison's Wonderful Remark, which played over the closing credits in Martin Scorsese's The King of Comedy, got zero recognition. That's too bad as it's a terrific song and the lyrics actually had something do with the theme of the movie.

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Are you kidding me. That Thing You Do is without question the winner for 97. This is a song that positively has to work as a period song for the movie to work effectively. It has to be catchy, something you could listed to repeatedly, and sound authentic. I think it succeeds on every count, and is a shining example of music and filmmaking working together.
    Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhhh, I hate Evita just because it won [​IMG]

4. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Just last year I've Seen It All by Bjork.
    It's going to happen again this year when I predict nothing from Hedwig and the Angry Inch will receive a nomination.

5. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I can tell you a song that will NOT be nominated this year, and definitely deserves to be:
    "Come What May" from Moulin Rouge
    Story goes like this: The song was originally written for Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet, but was cut from the film. Flash forward to the production of Moulin Rouge!, and Luhrmann decides to include Come What May in the new musical.
    While it's easily one of the year's most beautiful (and passionately performed) songs, the tune is ineligible for Oscar consideration! Why? Because it was originally written for another film! Never MIND that the song was cut, does not appear on the R+J soundtrack, and is easily the finest song of any film this year. (IMO, of course.)
    Personally, I think Luhrmann's getting screwed. Virtually none of the other Moulin Rouge! tunes can get nominated, as they're all comprised of older songs! Come What May was the one original showstopper in the film, and now it can't be nominated thanks to this insipid rule. I wish the Academy were more interested in simply awarding the best in film, as opposed to honoring such pointless technicalities.

6. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I am completely with Scott regarding Come What May. My fiancee will go INSANE when it does not get nominated. As will I.

Take care,

Chuck

7. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Kung Foo Fighting!
    [​IMG]

8. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Hmm. Chim Chim Cher-ee or A Hard Day's Night. Which is the better song. Hmm. The academy sure screwed that one up. Of course, the grammys were even worse that year. [​IMG]

9. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I think a lot of you are forgetting that the song has to be written specifically for the film. A lot of these wouldn't qualify.

10. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Let's see.

Candle on the Water (Pete's Dragon) vs. You Light up My Life (You Light up My Life).

The latter won, but the former should have.

11. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

12. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

1999- When She Loved Me (performed by Sarah McLachlan and written by Randy Newman) in Toy Story 2 deserved to win. I couldn't believe that Phill Collins pop song in Tarzan beat it for best song!

13. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

14. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I was rooting for "Blame Canada" myself. I normally like Phil Collins, but I'll be honest: A tie between "When She Loved Me" and "Blame Canada" would've been better.

Sincerely,

John "If only the original song score award was given that year" Kilduff

15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer