What Movie Should I Review?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Sch, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

One of the only good things about being back is school is that I'm not a member of the school newspaper staff. This issue, I'm doing movies, so I need suggestions as to what I should review. It will have to be out by mid-to-late September so I'll have time to see it and write the review. I could also write about LOA coming to the Senator and write some about the Senator as well, or I could do something completely different related to movies. So what should I do?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Good deal, Andrew. How about One Hour Photo? Could be just the thing for a school paper review. Sort of mainstream, in that it stars Robin Williams, an actor with whom everyone is familiar. But its playing (at least in Dallas) in the ‘art’ houses, so there is a good chance that it won’t be so mainstream that everyone will have formed an opinion, giving your review the chance to help mold public opinion.

Plus it’s just released. It has a chance of staying around.

3. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    City Lights, The Elephant Man, or Kung Pow: Enter The Fist.

5. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Andrew,
    I agree with Rob, Lawrence of Arabia would be a great one to review. I teach high school Drama, and I like to bring film in whenever I can, including film criticism. I have my students review a classic film based on the AFI list (plus foreign films, many of which are films regularly discussed on HTF). Chances are, most of your classmates have never seen LOA, so you have a great opportunity to educate them as to its many merits. I'm pleasantly surprised by how many of my students love the film as much as I do after they see it. Congratulations and enjoy! [​IMG]

6. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

The Good Girl, as a warning to all the potential "Justines" and "Phils" out there (marrying right out of high school, taking a dead-end, unsatifying job, being bored with life and yourself). It's a good movie, but very sad.

7. Andrew_Sch

Would I be correct in saying that LOA's seven Oscars are surpassed only by Gone With The Wind, Titanic, and Ben-Hur?

And how's this for a lead: "When people say, 'they don't make 'em like that anymore,' they're likely referring to movies like Lawrence of Arabia, and movie theaters like the Senator."

8. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

Sounds good. I'd like to write movie reviews that my school could read. It seems everyone in my classes thinks XXX and Austin Powers: Goldmember are the greatest movies ever.

9. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Andrew, 13 movies won 8 or more Oscars, recent ones being Titanic and The English Patient.

10. Andrew_Sch

Ah criminy, there goes one of my cool LOA facts.[​IMG]

11. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

12. Andrew_Sch

I'll be sure to keep everybody updated and post the complete story when it's finished.