What Movie is This From?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Rutgar, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

I've had this song in my head all morning. I know it's from a movie, but I can't place it for the life of me. Also, I might not have the details of the scene quite right either, but here goes:

The scene takes place in a large room or Beer Hall during the Nazi's rise to power. A couple of people are talking about the Nazi movement (possibly a couple of Jews, I'm not sure), and one is re-assuring the other that the Nazi movement is nothing to fear, and that it won't last. About that time, a teenage boy, or young man in uniform stands up, and starts to sing. I'm guessing it's a German nationalistic type song. Slowly others in the Hall start to join in. By the time song is finishing, the entire Hall is fevorously standing and singing the song in a thunderous voice. Afterwards, the one man looks back at the other and gives him a "Never mind what I just said", Look.

Does this scene ring any Bells for anyone?

2. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Swingkids?

3. Jacob McCraw

Jacob McCraw Stunt Coordinator

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp?

4. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Sounds like you're thinking of the scene in Cabaret where the song is "Tomorrow Belongs to Me." It takes place at an outdoor cafe.

5. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

Ah! I believe that's it. THANK YOU!

I have no idea why that song popped in my head, and wouldn't leave. I haven't seen Cabaret in many years. Now, I guess I'll have to dig it out, and watch that scene just to make sure. I have it on DVD, but I've never watched it. If I remember correctly it's a widescreen movie that's not enhanced (which would be why I never got around to watching it).[​IMG]

6. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Yeah, it's not 16X9 enhanced, which is especially annoying because the box for the re-issue that came out in 2003 (I think it was that year) says, wrongly, that it is! Especially a bummer with that tricked out HT you have, Rutgar--very nice!

I really like the movie, but for this tune, I prefer the version from the original Broadway cast recording, which I have on CD. I've never seen it performed on-stage, but the liner notes describe this number as being sung by some of the waiters and other workers (along with the MC) at the Kit-Kat Club after it's closed up for the night, in a more subtly ominous sort of ultra-nationalism than the very blunt version in the movie (where the crowd is led by a Hitler Youth member, as you recalled).

7. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

Thank you. The theater is still a work in progress (of course, aren't they all)[​IMG]

I'll have to check out the song on CD. I'm glad I never checked back on buying the 2003 re-issue of Cabaret. I would have been peeved to have bought it twice, and end up with the same non-anamorphic transfer. I'll never understand why some older releases get a quiet enhanced re-release, and some don't. And, why other's are re-released with mega-fanfare, as "Special or Collector's" Editions. Cabaret would easily make any "favorite" movie list of mine. And, it's one of only three "musicals" that I care for (not counting the Disney Stuff of course, everyone likes the Disney stuff).

8. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Also, the older DVD has the original poster art on the cover -- infinitely preferable to the redone art that looks like it's mimicking Chicago.

9. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

Well, I finally realized why the song "Tomorrow Belongs to Me", was stuck in my head, even though it has been ten years since I last saw Cabaret. On the way home, an advertisment was playing on the radio. It was for the new Joel Schumacher film of "Phantom of the Opera". One of the melodies from the film sounds very much like "Tomorrow Belongs to Me". I had heard the same ad on the radio in the morning, which is why it popped in my head.[​IMG]

On a side note, I put in my non-enhanced DVD copy of Cabaret when I got home. GOOD GOSH, does this film need an anamorphic transfer. I had this itty bitty picture in the middle of my 100" screen. The actual widescreen picture didn't even go all the way to sides of the 4:3 frame. So even on a 4:3 TV, you have black bars on all four sides. No wonder I never watched this DVD.