What's new

What movie has the lowest hz and what subs can reproduce that sound? (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
This may be a very silly question but I have been wondering for quite sometime how low do movie soundtracks go? Is there a point where no sub can reproduce that low sound? Can a SVS 16-46 or a Paradigm Servo 15 not reproduce a sound under say 14hz? How low can commercial theaters go? I have a very limited knowledge about sound and physics so please excuse me if this is a silly questions.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Star Wars Episode 1 is supposed to have some real low stuff in the Pod race scene. I think like 12 Hz or so.

I'm pretty sure TV has said that the 16 Hz tuned subs can do it.

Commercial theaters aren't really equipped to fill up all that space with bass down to 20 Hz as far as I know. I think THX specs call for a rolloff of the really low stuff, and part of that is so that the bass doesn't bleed into the next theater too bad.

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
Sar Wars Ep1, the THX intro especially - there is a waterfall graph of this on the SVS site, bass down to 10hz if I remember correctly. Jurassic Park 3 was also very impressive.

I use two DIY Shiva subs 16.5hz tune, they have a flat response down to about 15hz thanks to my very small room, I have tried 10hz tones on them, thay can reproduce that sound but its at a lower SPL than the 15hz+ tones. The same would apply for the SVS and Paradigm subs, although I dont know what the rolloff point would be.

Harry.

Hugh Scrivener

Stunt Coordinator
Fight Club destroys my cheap Polk sub, as well as TPM, Dark City and Titan A.E.

The SVS FAQ page has some great low bass demo's

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Titan AE and Toy Story 2 are two DVD soundtracks that extend way down and will bottom out most subs that do not have subsonic filtering.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Take a look at SVS's site, they have a list of a lot of good bass workout passages from a wide variety of material.

Personally, I like most of those mentioned: TPM, Toy Story II - opening sequence, Fight Club - Airplane sequence, JP3, Superspeedway:Mach 2, Titan AE, T2:Ultimate Edition - THX intro (better than TPM THX intro!)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
For the really low stuff, how about this:
Link Removed
80dB at 5hz
95dB at 10hz :D
and the 50hz numbers are only at 100dB on the plotted curve, so I'm sure it could do a lot more than 80dB at 5hz.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone here own a ServoDrive ContraBass? Looks interesting. Would be curious to hear the results.

SanfordL

Stunt Coordinator
Bag End Infrasub 18". It hit's 8 hz without problems, although you may need heart paddles if you hit it that low. http://www.bagend.com/ :D Of course, you can't hear it, but if it makes your face tickle when you crank it, it's gotta be good.:emoji_thumbsup: It'll hit 8 hz without serious roll-off, so if you have the cash, go for it. Check the data sheet http://ww2.bagend.com/bagend/d18e-i.pdf They also make the Infrasub 12" which will also take you down to 8 hz, but it rolls off steeply after 10 hz. SVS CS+ 16-46 with port plugs will hit about 8~10hz, but I might be wrong about that. I am still waiting for my SVS.
Also don't forget about U571 which hit's around 10 hz during the depth charge scenes.

Glen_L

Stunt Coordinator
Bag End Infrasub 18". It hit's 8 hz without problems
Unless, of course, you expect to get any usable volume from it. Over at Link Removed, it indeed measured flat (more or less) down to about 10 Hz in the room response test. The kicker? They measured a maximum of a measly 103.5 dB at 31.5 Hz using nearfield testing. So, unless your key seat is staring the woofer in the face, you're looking at a much lower peak than even 103.5 dB. Even on its web page it states that "the maximum SPL is not a reliable way to judge the impact of a subwoofer".
That pretty much rules it out of any use for me, excepting elevator music that reaches down to 8 Hz :D.

SanfordL

Stunt Coordinator
Glen, you are scaring me now. ;) Yeah, you notice, I didn't say I was waiting on my Bag End, I said I was waiting on my SVS. It's kind of scary to think that 800 watts driving a pair of 18" subs can only hit 103.5 dbs at 31 hz (it should do that at 15 hz), but heah, if you are into that "mine can do it and your's can't" bass elitist thing, then there's the sub for you. I thought it was the Infra-12" that didn't have much in the way of output, but I might be wrong. Never considered the Bag End for long because it was cost prohibitive, and I read some of the same things you have about them.

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
re: bagend

Didn't that have something to do with the Fs being above the XO or something? I remember reading that it's set up so that the Fs is above the XO, so that's why it can hit so low, but can't play loud for crap cause the excursion is huge...

...can someone correct me if needed or clarify...

sean

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Star wars E1 has DEEP bass in the pod racing! I had it cranked..Lap 2..well, my 2ch set up was PISSED. Ever see woofers.."flap?" Its crazy.

Keir H

Second Unit
With all this talk about below 20 hz scenes, what should the viewer actually "look" or "feel" for when testing his output capability from his/her sub? I suppose if you are not getting that tingly feeling or seeing pictures come off the wall, then you are not getting enough output correct? How much db does it take for you to experience this 90db@18-20hz, or something like 115db@15-20hz? Thanks! Just a little confused. I'm actually afraid to turn my sub past 10db below ref. so I guess I won't get this experience.(22-31 SVS)

Michel L

Auditioning
You can order this CD and see what the low frequencies sound like. http://www.stryke.com/testcd1.htm Or, actually what they don't sound like would be more accurate. Most of what you hear will be the room shaking below the 17.5 hz track, not the material. I have my 20-39CS+ tuned to 16 hz because it gives me a flatter response in my room, but I bet I would like the sound of the 25-31CS+ just as well.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I believe that 'The Haunting' DTS has spikes dipping down to 5Hz, or so I have read. Pretty powerful spikes of bass too. As anyone who has cranked it up can tell you, it will do *damage* to your woofs if you are not cautious with the volume level, or unless you have your woofs low pass filtered.

Some other Sub Smokers:

Titan A.E., DTS

Star Wars Episode 1

Jurassic Park 3, DTS

Atlantis, collecters edition DTS (we need to get some waterfalls of the Leviathan scene done, especially when the creature first kicks it's tail through the water)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
The Haunting has some scary ass bass. When I 1st watched that movie with my new SVS, I was scared for my SVS. My dogs usually leave the room when The Haunting is on. And before anyone comments, they leave because the low bass bothers them, not the movie itself. ;)
-Dean-

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Michel/Keir,

I just got the stryke disk the other day and was playing with it last night. On the 20 hz and below stuff, I turned up the volume just for savage amusement...It was kinda weird. Wine glasses rattling in the other room and a picture vibrating, but I couldn't actually hear anything below 20hz. I can't imagine what it must be like to have a sub playing (with authority) under 20....

--Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks