What's new

What movie do you most detest? (1 Viewer)

CarlLaFong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Wheeler
Raul Marquez said:
Looking at this resurrected thread I would say....

Even Cowgirls Get The Blues
Good Lord, I'd forgotten about this one. Terrible, even on fast forward!

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
'The Tree of Life'

i-sLvm7xn.gif

Mark

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
There are movies that are popular which I don't care for; but I cannot say my feelings reach "detest". I am usually simply indifferent to the popular movies I do not "get".

I guess the top one on my list would be Field of Dreams. I was unmoved to the point of boredom. I do not see why this movie is so special for so many people.

I also did not care for Inglourious Basterds (or Tarantino in general, though I liked Pulp Fiction).

I don't see the attraction of Fight Club. It starts out well, but just gets out of hand.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Birdman. I don't get it at all. Pretentious, boring, the gimmick of one take becomes annoying very quickly, boring, dialogue that sounds like what someone would write if they were writing a movie making fun of overly pretentious independent movies, and did I mention it's boring?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Fight Club.

Poster child for the 'end does not justify the means.' One character's voyage of self discovery at the expense of the misery and suffering of others.

I get it's a satire of modern day values but can't stand the journey the character takes to get find himself.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I just scanned the first couple pages of this, and my immediate thought was: if you're not enjoying a movie, vote with your feet and leave. I'll save my hatred for more important things, like certain politicians or policies. Plus, I can usually find something to admire, or think oddly funny, in even the worst films. That said, I did seriously dislike the first 20 minutes of so of TOP GUN. It was the only film playing when I was on a Summer Stock tour the year it came out, so I

thought it might be a decent way to pass the time. About 18 minutes in, I thought to myself :If Tom Cruise smirks at the camera one more time, I'm outta here." Two minutes later I was.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
PODER said:
I just scanned the first couple pages of this, and my immediate thought was: if you're not enjoying a movie, vote with your feet and leave. I'll save my hatred for more important things, like certain politicians or policies. Plus, I can usually find something to admire, or think oddly funny, in even the worst films. That said, I did seriously dislike the first 20 minutes of so of TOP GUN. It was the only film playing when I was on a Summer Stock tour the year it came out, so I

thought it might be a decent way to pass the time. About 18 minutes in, I thought to myself :If Tom Cruise smirks at the camera one more time, I'm outta here." Two minutes later I was.

People, including me, often stick it out with films that have been recommended to them or films that are supposed to be good. In my case, both SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION and MAGNOLIA came with high recommendations from people who really wanted me to see them. Granted, I finally only watched them in entirety on nights when I couldn't sleep for some reason or other, so I wouldn't have been doing anything else on those nights except trying (in vain) to get back to sleep. Which only adds to the "detest" factor. If they're films we expected to be bad, we wouldn't feel a need to detest them. But films that came with high credentials and then turned out bad...we resent having to sit through them, hence we detest them.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Vic Pardo said:
People, including me, often stick it out with films that have been recommended to them or films that are supposed to be good. In my case, both SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION and MAGNOLIA came with high recommendations from people who really wanted me to see them. Granted, I finally only watched them in entirety on nights when I couldn't sleep for some reason or other, so I wouldn't have been doing anything else on those nights except trying (in vain) to get back to sleep. Which only adds to the "detest" factor. If they're films we expected to be bad, we wouldn't feel a need to detest them. But films that came with high credentials and then turned out bad...we resent having to sit through them, hence we detest them.
I just read your well-reasoned response, and think it makes a lot of sense. And certainly Film Critics would be tops in the list of people who "detest" one film or another, since they DO "have to sit through them". However, I can't really recall any film I've been so pressured to see that I felt compelled to endure the entire mess. My husband and I have similar tastes in movies, but aren't exactly in lockstep. If one of us is enjoying a film that is leaving the other one checking his watch every few minutes, the watch checker simply heads off to another room to read or whatever. Life's too short to waste on things that we don't have to do. What's wrong with telling the friends "I gave it a try, but it wasn't my cup of Sanka"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks