What motherboard combo to get??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pat K, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Pat K

Pat K Stunt Coordinator

Im building a computer (well, my friend is), and I plan on an Athlon 1800. I want a decent motherboard, but real cheap. I plan on using a seperate sound card, video card, and ethernet card, but alot of mobos i see have integrated sound video and lan. Can I still use my own goodies with these? Do i have to disable them? Howz this work?? Heres the pricewatch page http://www.pricewatch.com/1/306/4110-1.htm

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Pat, recommendations for the Athlon Motherboards I will leave up to people who buy AMD but I can tell you that it is fine if you cant get one without sounds and lan onboard. Both can be disabled either in the Bios or by simply plugging in the new cards. If the Lan is onboard then you wont have to worry about adding another card but I could see replacing the standard sound cards that come on Mobo's. Now after saying that its always best if you can get a motherboard without either onboard since you can possibly avoid problems from hardware that doesnt like to play well with each other [​IMG]
    Best of luck
    KyleS

3. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Don't skimp on the motherboard. You definately get what you pay for when you go on the cheap! I highly recommend Abit boards( I have a KT7-Raid that is rock solid) as they are very stable and have the very easy to use SoftmenuIII for CPU setup(makes overclocking or tweaking in general very easy, all done in the BIOS). Second I would consider an Asus board as they also rate quite highly. You might want to try www.sharkyextreme.com for the latest motherboard reviews, and look at www.motherboards.com to see the latest offerings form all the major m/b makers.
    Oh, and don't bother with a board that has integrated anything. Only leads to problems/conflicts when you want to disable and use your own stuff.

4. Srinivas Reddy

I bought a ECS K7S5A. Has on-board sound and LAN but no video. You can get it for around $65. It had very good reviews on different sites. Just search google for 'ECS k7S5A'. Supports DDR and SDRAM upto 2 GB. I think they have a K7S6A now (www.ecsusa.com). I have a Athlon 900 and 512MB RAM. Very good performance so far.

5. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Asus has a great rep but my a7v333 is giving me a head ache. You should head over to the www.amdmb.com forums and read up there. I livke the a7v333 a lot but I can't get it to boot. It's going back to Fry's tonight unfortunately. I'll do an exchange and then we'll see. I've head good thing about the Soyo board, but will only switch if I can't get the next one to work. summary of problem - I get a 'memory test failed error' w/ two working DIMMS for some reason (trying everything - even read most of that 58 page thread in the asus forum on it!) sigh.

6. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Update - swapped my A7V333 for a new one today - problem seems resolved. Got it to boot first try.
    One thing I seem to be seeing on all the forums I've visited with these Via MB's (be it Asus, MSI, Soyo, etc.) is that people are either fine, or just have a pile of issues resulting in an RMA. As usual, more people posting are probably people that have problems, but I'd recommend that you at least buy it some place that has a return policy that is painless. I'm really really really glad I bought my MB at Fry's.
    Also, there is a potential issue with the Via chipset boards and the Creative sound cards. Via admitted the other day that they don't support 'PCI Bus parking' - something that's not in the current PCI spec, but PCI card makers assume works with a MB - it seems that it doesn't work right in any of the current Via chipsets - that could be the cause of many people pulling their hair out when dealing with Creative Labs cards & their MBs.
    I'm hoping I can get my Asus & Audigy to play nice - guess it must be my masochistic side. [​IMG]