What more do I get with DIY?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimG, Nov 24, 2002.

1. JimG

JimG Auditioning

Sep 28, 2002
    Recently listened to a PW-2200. Sounded like it had some low end strength (we listened to sub only for DVD soundtracks and rock and roll CDs and ran the cutoff from 60 to 150 Hz).

So, if I spend the money on a DIY what more do I get? I'm looking at a 'vented' (EBS?) Shiva (partially 'cause they take the guesswork and simulation away).

Do I get more SPL (using a 250 Watt (or so) plate amp)?

Do I get better articulation of bass notes on music?

I'm looking for more function that form (flat blacked plywood would be elegant enough).

Know how to use a table saw and still keep my fingers attached to my hand.
  2. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Oct 1, 2001
    In my opinion you get more of everything. I can't compare the Shiva to the Paradigm you looked at because I've only built the Tempest.

You get much more value for the money spent. Higher customization options, better quality construction, better quality bass, deeper bass you can tune to your own needs, and no commercial bloating in the 30-40hz area. I have yet to hear a commercial sub that can outperform my Tempest, I know there are some that can but you'd have to spend a few thousand to do it. Mine cost 550 bucks to build with solid and veneer cherry finish. You can't touch a sub of this quality for 2k.