What mode do you use for 2-channel movie/TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianAe, Dec 30, 2002.

1. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

What play mode do you all use for movies and TV being delivered in stereo (2-channel)? For instance, say there is a good movie on TNT that you want to watch, not being delivered in any of the real surround formats. So, what do you use?

Prologic? Prologic II? DTS:NEO 6? a DSP mode? plain old stereo?

I have the Onkyo TX-SR600. Using prologic II I find that almost everything, if not everything comes out of the center channel. I seem to get better results with DTS:NEO 6 and the TV DSP mode.

2. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

and I thought people would like this topic [​IMG]
    Thoughts?

3. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Neo-6-C

4. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I use 6 channel stereo for my TV, but since my crappy POS cable box only outputs mono, I only get sound out of the left speakers and the center. DAMN CABLE COMPANY! [​IMG]

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

7. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    I have a Harman Kardon AVR520 receiver, and usually use Logic 7 when viewing 2-channel television and movies. The exception is when the source is a 2-channel Dolby Digital bitstream from a DVD, when I have to switch -- or, more accurately, the receiver switches automatically -- to Prologic II due to the limitations of the receiver. Prologic II does a very good job, though, and I believe I'd be quite happy with it if I didn't also have access to Logic 7.

The AVR520 also has Neo6, but I've only tried it a few times. I preferred Logic7 and Prologic II, so I haven't bothered with Neo6 since those few attempts.

8. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Pro Logic II Cinema mode. Works VERY well! It sounds much more natural to me than NEO-6 Cinema...

9. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

I use plain old "2 channel" or "2 chanel analog bypass" for CD music, "Logic 7 Music" for concert videos in stereo only and "Logic 7 TV" for TV. I haven't yet tried all of the modes of my Lexicon MC-12 (there are about 20 and they add more with each software release), but the Logic 7 seems to work quite well.

10. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Sci-fi channel eh? That's a good tip. I have digital cable with a oldish motorolla cable box. I'm sure the feed is MTS but it is possible that the cable box isn't handling it properly. I'll do some testing and maybe call the cable company.

On another note, any Onkyo owners have opinions about their DSP modes?

11. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I find the matrix mode on my 3802 better than PLII. Anyone else use it for TV viewing on the 3802?

12. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I use ProLoic II Music when watching regular stereo broadcasts, but Circle Surround 5.1 on stereo CDs. I find CS5.1 gives a more "enveloping" feel, which adds to ambience when listening to music, but distracts with unnecessary re-direction to the surrounds when watching a TV show. ProLogicII gives the right amount of redirection, and using Music instead of Movie/Cinema allows you to change the settings to make the centre channel a little less dominant.

13. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

I prefer Neo-6-C to DPLII purely because it makes use of my rear centers [​IMG] (and no I don't have Logic7).