What's new

What might this be and how do I correct it??? (1 Viewer)

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Just picked up a Samsung 30" TXN3075WHF last week and things seemed to be going pretty well with the cable signal and DVD watching. I was getting a pristine picture on the DVD and an OK one on the cable.

Now since yesterday, on the DVD's I have been getting this strange kind of fading in an out of light. Like the picture gets slightly lighter and then darkens almost like a shadow. Not really sure how to explain it. It does not happen all the time, but it happens a lot. It is almost liek the picture is slightly washed out.

My picture settings are the same, I checked, so I am not sure what this phenomenon is.

Watched RUDY and CATCH ME IF YOU CAN and it was pretty obvious on both. I watched parts of CATCH ME IF YOU CAN a few days ago at it was OK then, but not anymore.

Now the cable TV signal is good and nothing like this happens with that, so this might also lead me to believe that it might be something on my DVD player, a Panasonic RP62 that is a Progressive Scan player and obviously hooked up with component.

Anyone know of this problem , what is the technical term for it, and how can I possibly fix it ... thanks!

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
It sounds like macrovision. Do you have the DVD hooked up to the TV through the VCR. If so, that is your problem.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Jesse:

I sounds like Macrovision, you are right. It is much more subtle though and completely watchable.

This only shows up when watching DVD's though not Cable TV, besides the cable is connected directly to the TV.

The mystery continues ...

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Well after trying 3 different DVD Players; 2 Different Panasonic Progressive Scan ones and a Non-Progressive Toshiba ... and using all types of cables; component, S-VHS ...

I came to the conclusion that there is something definetelly wrong with the set. It cannot seem to handle contrast well. Transitions from light background scenes to dark ones and vice versa cause a very annoying "fading" effect that I cannot live with.

The sad part of it is that the endless tweaking of this set has totally put me off to HD and am thinking of just picking up an analog 32" Panasonic instead.

As they say ... you get what you paid for. I was mistaken to believe that it was going to be a good quality HD set for almost half the price of the next comparable one from another company.

My HD experience has been put on hold until it becomes more of a standard.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Aurel, there has to be a reason why Samsung is undercutting all other Asian manufacturers when it comes to the MSRP of its direct-view HD sets. Not sure what the problem is with yours. At first I thought you simply have a set that doesn't hold blacks very well (common in sets with skimpy power supplies).

Rather than dumping ATSC technology, why not see if you can exchange the Samsung for credit applied toward, say, a Sony or Toshiba or Panasonic HD-capable set? The Sony KV-32HS510 is going for a very nice price in many places.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Jack:

At first I thought you simply have a set that doesn't hold blacks very well (common in sets with skimpy power supplies).
I think this is the main issue. Watching Fellini's 8 1/2 the other day, I noticed that in this one the picture almost has brownish hues that fade in and out. I know this movie has a pristine b/w transfer as I have watched it numerous times on my previous set and it is gorgeous. But on the Samsung the picture fades between b/w to brown (like on old antiqued picture brown) very annoyingly throughout. And it happens in scenes that go from light to dark ... so the contrast is the culprit here.

I initially only wanted a Wide Set if going down the HD route, but I see what you mean ... the 32" HD sets from the manufacturers you mentioned are pretty decently priced.

I only paid $835 for the Samsung, so jumping into the Panasonic 30" wide, the set that I really wanted, would be big, as it is $500 more.

But good idea, I will look into the 32" HD sets a little more. Does anyone know if they need to be tweaked as much as the 16:9 sets?

What are their drawbacks?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
All sets require tweaking out of the box. Sony models tend to run at too high a color temp, so a professional grayscale calibration would be in order.

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
Aurel, it seems that the initial tweaks to your TV became frustrating only because of a failure within the Samsung. Your next HDTV, if it is functioning, shouldn't subject you to this regimen :)

I wouldn't swear off Samsungs just because this particular TV failed. Get a Samsung replacement first, before you spend more money on a brand jump. I'm only speaking from my own experience with their computer monitors, but their CRTs are well made and overall reliability is good, though not as high-end as some of their counterparts.

With respect to your particular problem, my guess is that there is a circuitry malfunction that is pumping up red sporadically, and/or draining green and blue. To move from gray to brown using graphic design software, red intensity is stationary while the green and blue decrease in intensity. The blue decreases at a slightly different rate. If there are dynamic saturation settings in this TV (a feature that would increase saturation in areas of high contrast) maybe these dynamic features are malfunctioning.

Sean.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Sean:

Thanks for your input, at least now I have a possible technical angle on it.

I think I am going to swap this set for a Sony KV-32HS500 that Sears now has for $1199.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Well to give you an update on this issue. After 3 weeks and no replacement set at CC ( I scraped the idea of getting the Sony 4:3 HDTV set) ... I walked into a PC Richards (a local chain here in NY) and got the same set from them for an unbelieavable $740 !!!

They just had a grand opening and were trying to get some customers.

So the strange contrast issue is gone and all is well now. So the Sammy is staying as I kinda fell in love with its long wide image over the last few weeks. Tomorrow I am taking the bad one back to CC and getting a refund.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Keep us updated on the new Samsung's performance, Aurel. Glad you achieved a satisfying solution to the predicament.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
The Sammy is working like a charm. No problems, I did not do the AVIA stuff on it, and not really plannig to either ... like the pic I have now.

I have been going through my DVD collection dumping non-anamorphic discs and re-buying them anamorphic.

Great set for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks