What might my next upgrade be?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Braun, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Jeff Braun

Jeff Braun Auditioning

Hi guys, so I have a question about upgrading. Right now I consider my system to be well balanced, in that the components are of similar quality. Right now, I'm using Klipsch RF-3's as mains, an RC-3 as a center, RS-3's as surrounds, and an SVS 20-39PC subwoofer. I'm using the Denon AVR-3801 as my preamp/amp, and a Music Hall MMF CD-25 as a CD player. Basically, I'm wondering what kind of upgrade might make a difference in this system. I'm afraid that if I upgrade anything, that the rest of my system will essentially be a bottleneck, holding the new component back. Anyone have any ideas about what component is the most suitable for upgrading? Btw, my system is used 99% for music, 1% for HT. Thanks!

-Jeff

2. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

I'd be looking at a either a stereo integrated ampliflier or a stereo preamp/amp combination for the front speakers. Then connect the CD player (and any other 2 channel sources) and also the front preouts from the 3801 directly to the preamp/integrated.

This is a far better option than chasing an HT processor with ultimate 2ch performance.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The Denon 3801 isn't that strong in the music department so I'd be looking at adding a stereo pre amp or upgrading the receiver.