What's new

What makes SVS so good? (1 Viewer)

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
I have a DCM 1212 which seems to be a decent sub, but what makes SVS so good that everyone is raving about them? Can you tell a big difference? How does the DCM 1212 stack up to a SVS?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Andy,
The difference will literally be night and day. Adding an SVS sub to your system is one of, if not the biggest improvement in sound quality you can make. I joined this forum a couple of months ago and saw all the glowing endorsements of SVS. I naturally wondered what all the fuss was about so I finally ordered a pair of 25-31's with the samson amp on Tom's recomendation. Tom is one of the owners of SV Subwoofers BTW. Well once I got them set up I never looked back. I wouldn't trade them for anything. I have demoed alot of subs(some pretty ex$pensive ones too) and even had a custom built one, but the SVS put them all to shame. Andy, if you are seriously shopping for a new sub you WILL NOT regret SVS. And to top it all off, there customer service is second to none. Tom and Ron are great. They answer all your questions promptly and are very helpful. I couldn't imagine my HT without SVS subs.
Regards,
Dalton

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
The 20-39 is the next thing on my upgrade list. I'm using a Kenwood 1050SW at the moment. I hope to be buying it within the month, just depends how finances work out :)
Does anyone know if there is a waiting list on these subs? Also are you better off buying the amp seperate? I was just going to buy the one with the amp built in. Any details appreciated.
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Many moons ago the owner of SV subs and I exchanged many , many e-mails discussing the building of subwoofers. We discussed subwoofer designs that are not in use anywhere they were from his own design and experiments , he shared these ideas with me and inspired me to build several
subwoofers including this one, http://www.geocities.com/manurescape...l?982512333080
What I am getting at is Tom V. knows subwoofers and you can bet that he would not sell a product that did not put out massive amounts of high quality bass.
From what I know about Tom I think I am correct in saying that he was a bass fanatic long before he decided to sell subwoofers so what you have is a product that first and foremost is designed to put out good bass , money and everything else come second.

John M Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I would appreciate it if you guys could be more specific about what makes them good. Is it that
In addition, I'm thinking of buying one, and I'd like a demo. Does anybody know of a place in the bay area where I can find one?
------------------
Fellini's Le Notti di Cabiria
Link Removed

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
I think the reason that people like SVS so much is because of the excellent performance/price ratio.
low, loud, clean...this is apparently what SVS is all about.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Steve,
If you get the CS and the Samson 700 then you'll get about 2dB more output at maximum volumes. And if you decide upgrade later on then you just buy another CS and use the 2nd channel of the Samson.
But the PC's have some advantages too. You don't have to find space in your rack for an external amp. And you don't have to worry about how you're going to get the external amp to power up when you turn on your receiver. And with the built-in subsonic filter you don't have to worry about seeing large signals below the tuning point. My 25-31PC handles The Phantom Menace without batting an eye.
There's a few other features on the PC like speaker-level inputs, adjustable crossover, continuous phase control and selectable bass boost. But in this age of digital bass management they tend to go unused.
John,
Tom or Ron will probably pop in and clarify this for you. But what really seems to make SVS subs stand out is accuracy, extension and output. The output is very flat and extends into the deeeeep bass regions without resorting to equalization. Efficiency and big driver excursion means LOTS of output.

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Andy,
You might find some of the input you need in our FAQs page. The bottom line. A good design, very high quality components, and direct sales to you (vice multiple middlemen all getting their profit). More for less.
Ron

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Andy, I don't know of any perofrmance measurements on the DCM unit...do you know if it's been reviewed by anyone(a review that would include some actual performance numbers )
I've heard a couple DCM units in the past...none of them impressed me enough to bother looking at the model #...but this is only one opinion of course. How large is your room?
SteveBjr,
>>>Does anyone know if there is a waiting list on these subs?> Also are you better off buying the amp seperate? I was just going to buy the one with the amp built in. Any details appreciated.I would appreciate it if you guys could be more specific about what makes them good.

Wookie Groomer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shawn
Tom & Ron
Who builds subs while you guys race to answer emails? :)
To all: I ordered a set of 20's and a Sampson on Monday, it shipped the following day for a 3rd day delivery. OUSTANDING!

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
quote: The best model for you will depend on various factors.
1)are you using a DD receiver?
2)how large is your room?
3)will the system be used for music too...if so...are you a pipe organ/telerc fan?
4) on the DVD side of things...will you expect the system to be able to reach reference levels?(or is say 10dB under reference ok?)
[/quote]
1) Yes DD/DTS.
2) 14L X 12W X 8H.
3) 75% movies, 15% TV, 10% music.
4) Please explain reference levels, it is not quite clear to me what it means.
*EDIT* Just read about reference levels and i don't think i need reference levels. The room i have isn't big enough for it at the moment.
Thanks for the response.
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection
[Edited last by SteveBjr on October 23, 2001 at 10:06 PM]
[Edited last by SteveBjr on October 23, 2001 at 10:12 PM]

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
Shawn,
Please let us know what you think of the subs once you get them set up. I would like to know how they compared to the other sub that you recently bought.
Thanks,
Jeff Aguilar

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
Im not currently in the market since I just bought my DCM but I may pick one up later. I just want to make sure they are worth it since they are twice what I paid for my DCM!!!

Wookie Groomer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shawn
Jeff
I currently have the Adire Dharman and plan to compare it to a single SVS (apples to apples).
I will post on it before the weekend is out.

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,
No reason at all. You'll get significantly stronger response down low (say below 20Hz), but over all the subs will be more alike than different.
If the additional 8" in height (most HT's are full of HEIGHT, it's floor space they lack) and a bit more cost isn't a bother then the 20-39PC is THE sub to get.
It's our most popular since it goes nearly as low as the 16-46, and is nearly as strong above 30Hz as the 25-31.
If you spent any time on our site you might have seen the quality and care that goes into our subs. THAT is what makes SVS different in the end. That and the fact you don't have 3 layers of middlemen taking their cut on profit. SVS are "good" because they don't cost what they would if you bought them at a local high-end dealer.
The fact you are out only shipping cost if after 45 days you don't like it is another reason.
But we don't get many back. Ask the guys trolling for b-stocks ;^)
Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks