What's new

What makes people put Vertigo at the top of Hitch lists? (1 Viewer)

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Man,
Have you seen Vertigo?
I first saw it when I was 13 and it scared the s*** out of me!
It really makes you think....
That scene when the dark shadowy figure comes up the stairs, *creak*, *creak*, *creak*.
Oh wait its just a nun..
You didn't have to jump out the window!
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
That ain't just a nun! It's the very personification of her entire weight of guilt and regret finally and startlingly emerging from the darkest shadows of deepest repression! :)

Pascal A

Second Unit
Evan, I'm very happy to be corrected on this, but I think 'Shadow of a Doubt' was Hitch's favourite amongst his *early* films.
If I remember correctly, Patricia Hitchcock O'Connell referred to Shadow of a Doubt as his favorite film - she didn't really qualify the context of which of his films.
For me personally, I was already a Hitchcock fan even before I saw Vertigo, since I wasn't around in 1959 , and the film wasn't re-released until later (1984?). I had already thought of this lost masterpiece as a kind of Holy Grail, and when I finally saw it on the re-release, I wasn't disappointed. So for me, the film proved to be a culmination of what I enjoyed and admired about Hitchcock as an artist, but also exposed a vulnerability that I never noticed in his other films (except for Rear Window). Since then, I have seen every one of his films (except The Mountain Eagle), and Vertigocontinues to be my favorite Hitchcock film (although it just barely misses my top 10).
------------------
Strictly Film School

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks