What's new

What makes Dolly Parton think she has the right to record "Stairway to Heaven?!?" (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
She's an excellent songwriter, which tends to obscure the breast issue for me, personally. :)

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Rich Tysinger posted:
Her recent bluegrass albums are wonderful and I heartily recommend them to anyone who merely associates her with "9 to 5" or duets with Kenny Rogers.
Stairway with a choir is obviously not Bluegrass, but does anyone know if the rest her new album is? It is expected on SACD btw.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I don't think covers are all bad.

When Wilson Pickett re-made Chris Kenner's Land of 1000 Dances, it was much better than the original.

When Aretha Franklin re-made Otis Redding's Respect, that was much better than the original.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Aren't we being just a little bit cliquish, guys? If a song is truly good, then it should be covered by other artists - it isn't holy writ. A cover version may not always be as good in the hands of others, but that isn't the point. Dolly Parton is not exactly the first singer who springs to mind for Led Zep material, but equally, think of what she endured when Whitney Houston covered 'I will always love you' (originally a DP song, for those for whom this is a revelation). In any case, what on earth's wrong with an artist trying to move beyond the safe confines of their usual field? Good luck to her!

Incidentally, the Rolf Harris cover was a deliberate but affectionate p***take and the surviving members of LZ apparently loved it.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Her version of "Stairway" has a quite a "spiritual bluegrass" tint to it, and the choir really lifts the song. It's excellent, IMO.

I don't know too much about bluegrass actually, but "Halos & Horns" sounds like blugrass to me, except for some of the slower songs maybe. But they use the traditional instrumental setting, it's far from "new country", and far from what many people associate with Dolly parton, I think.

/Mike

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Best cover of Stairway: Frank Zappa, from the album Best Band You Never Heard. A reggae version, with horns playing the guitar solo part.

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
:D
Yes, I've heard it. I liked it. That is the problem. I never would have dreamed I would like it, but I DO!
ARGH!
There has been, in my brain, a musical paradox created that is creating immense pressure on the sides of my skull.
I hope I make it 'til tomorrow. ;)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I'm not against covers per se, heck I've always felt that the best versions of many of Bob Dylan's most famous songs are covers rather than the originals, e.g. GNR's Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Hendrix and later U2's covers of All Along The Watchtower come to mind.

it's just that, Dolly Parton and Led Zeppelin? what a strange combination. oh well, I'll reserve judgment until I actually hear it.

after all, when I heard the Eagles "covered themselves" and did an acoustic version of Hotel California, I was appalled -- until I heard it. it's fabulous. can't say the same for Clapton's toned-down acoustic version of Layla, though...

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
a banjo replaces a guitar...what?? plus the banjo is off it tangents in certain places but then sounds like it goes off. I don't like the wavy voice she sings in. The duet,at least it sounds like two women singing is an ok touch. I mean I think she is a good singer/songwriter but she shouldn't have touched this one.

just my opinion though, if you like it then enjoy.

JW

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Personally, I'd think any concern about cover versions "ruining" Zep songs would have been long since taken care of by Dread Zeppelin. :)
I've heard Parton's version and it's pretty good.
Ryan

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
On a somewhat related note, there's a group from Kingston, Ontario called 'Luther Wright and the Wrongs' who have completely re-done "The Wall" in a C&W style, on an album called "Rebuild The Wall". :cool:
It's really very good !.... I find it bears more repeat listenings than say, Run C&W. After the initial novelty has worn off, it's true to it's style without losing any ( or much) integrity in the transition.
On the subject of artists of a diverse nature performing other's 'hits', back in the mid to late-60's it wasn't unusual to hear different artists having hits with the same song (even at the same time), despite the widely varied interpretations (usually in an attempt to appeal to different audiences/markets)eg, Vanilla Fudge and The Supremes both having hits with "You Keep Me Hanging On", Joe Cocker's take on numerous Beatles songs, etc. Even Tori Amos' version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" provided an entirely different sentiment from the Nirvana original.
I can't help but wonder that the lack of this practice in the recent past speaks to the comparatively disposable nature of today's 'pop' music..... just one cranky old guy's musings on a cold Tuesday evening. :p)
Anyway, check out 'Luther Wright and the Wrongs'you can't go far 'Wrong'.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I remember them coming through town when the CD came out - missed the show, but the concept for that album was clever - even Roger Waters gave them his blessing - thought it was the coolest cover he'd ever heard.

Comfortably Numb - "Howdy...is there anybody in there?"

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, the Hayseed Dixie disc of AC/DC tunes has it's moments. They also do a fun version of "Cat Scratch Fever".
But my nomination for the most 'inventive' :rolleyes:version of "Stairway..." has to go to Tiny Tim and Brave Combo for their lounge-lizard version.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
You must also keep in mind that there are many people that are turned off the original version of this song simply because of whom it is by. Whether is it a classic song or not is mute to many that would deem the song 'evil' because of the artist.

With Dolly's take of the song, it appeals to the cross section that would not not give Zepplin the time of day. Also, the song has the right to be done in a different fashion simply because really the original does seem outdated now.

Just like movies, I have no problems with remakes as long as they are 1) worthy of a remake and 2) a worthy remake itself.

Halo's and Horn's is a good album, but following the simple beauty of Little Sparrow, it pales in comparision. H & H does have some stand out tracks though, and Dolly's 'spiritual' take on Stairway is one of them.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've got to say that Stairway is one of my least favourite LZ songs. Personally I always found it rather overblown (like a lot of LZ, come to think of it) - I greatly prefer their heads down no-nonsense boogie material like Rock n Roll etc. Having the damn thing played endlessly in the sixth form by fellow pupils with questionable personal hygiene who were also blissfully unaware of the punk and new wave revolution going on around them and who regarded Stairway as tantamount to a hymn probably didn't help matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks