What makes cat urine so hard to remove?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Sep 4, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I've had problems with a couple cats peeing in places they shouldn't, or on things they shouldn't. Even after many cleanings/washings, the smell is still there. I've always wondered what made cat urine like this. At least with human and dog urine, the smell goes away after one or two washings.

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Don't know, but soak the spots in hydrogen peroxide and the smell goes away.

/Mike

3. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

You think the smell is bad, try using a black-light to find all of the spots. We have two cats, and the spots are EVERYWHERE!!! Even thorough cleaning does not remove the spots.

For smell, we were given a sample spray bottle of a pet deodorizer from our vet. I don't recall the name, but it works great. We also have a fancy carpet shampooer and we shampoo the entire house every two months or so. At least when you walk in our house, you can't immediately tell there are two cats and a dog that own the place.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Stephen: This may not be urine but cat spray. Are the felines in question toms? JB

5. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

No. They were females. Don't have them anymore. Got rid of them years ago, and still smell the pee faintly years later after repeated cleanings.

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    House cats are descended from native North African desert cats. They concentrate their urine just like camels do. That's why cats don't need much water compared to humans and dogs. But that concentrated urine does have its own drawbacks......[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

Jared: A black light???

Stephen, were they fixed? Every now and again, my female will leave her mark on the carpet. Don't know why she does it, but every now and then she does it. I bought some pet stain cleaner from Home Depot, and it seems to do the job cleaning the spot and killing the smell ...

Freddy C.

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Carbona works well. Also buy a natural citrus spray and use it wherever you don't want them to go. Cats/dogs HATE the smell of citrus

9. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

This is all very helpful. [​IMG] My roomate's cat has marked the entire front room in 'concentrated urine.' In fact (and this definitely falls under the category of 'too much information') the entire front portion of our duplex (with the notable exception of my room, ahem...) smells this way. My roomates must not have a sense of smell because they spend all day and night in their. Me, on the other hand... I can't go five feet near that carpet without smelling it.. yeeuuch.
    ~j

10. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

Completely useless post removed by moderator.

11. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

The smell might still be there because you can't get to it to clean it up.

My parents had a male cat (he was fixed, i.e. neutered, spayed, whatever) who started peeing in the living room when he was about 7 years old. My mother tried everything to get him to stop. They finally had to have the cat put down because he was urinating in the room daily and there was nothing else they could do.

The smell still lingered on even after he was gone. The urine soaked through the carpet. Even by thoroughly cleaning the carpet, you're not getting down deep and that's why the smell remains. Eventually, they replaced the carpeting and, when they did, saw the stains on the concrete or whatever was beneath the original carpeting.

12. Brian Ford

Brian Ford Stunt Coordinator

Well it could be worse.

I mean, at least the pee is not some kind of concentrated acid that can eat through walls/furniture. Having a pet Alien Xenomorph is hardwork, but they are just so cute!

13. Stephanie T.

Stephanie T. Stunt Coordinator

In response to the OP:
    1) Because their urethras are so gosh-darn tiny! (Also, feline penises are normally retracted, further compounding the problem with #2, below...)
    2) If you think cats fight when you try to flea-dip or bathe them, just try fitting an itty-bitty catheter up their urethras. Well, suffice it to say, they just hate it when I do that to them... twice daily! And you should see the scratch marks on my arms... I must go through a bottle of Betadine every two weeks!
    [​IMG]
    Oh! Did you mean, "remove the urine from surfaces in the home...?".
    [Emily Litella] Never mind, then![/Emily Litella] :b

14. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

15. Micah Lloyd

Micah Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Frederick, cat urine "glows" under a black light. It's easier then sticking your nose in the carpet to find all the spots! [​IMG]
    One of my females (spayed) still does the tail wiggle that I'm used to seeing from unaltered males when they spray (nothing comes out of her). I know she's going through the motions of marking things - but without actually spraying. I guess it's instinct. It only happens when she's getting some attention.
    I find that once a cat has gone somewhere they shouldn't (carpet, rug, couch) they'll go there again unless you get it COMPLETELY out. I've used Nature's Miracle with good results. You've got to saturate the area and let it dry to do it's job. I think there are enzymes at work...

16. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

I love the smell of cat piss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] but seriuosly I don't notice any smell from my cat of course he's been fixed so I guess they don't mark the wall as much after their balls are cut off. [​IMG]

17. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Cat urine is a very bad thing. Depending on your carpeting and flooring beneath, you may be living with the smell for many years depending on how deep the urine soaked. Case in point my girlfriend owned a cat for about a year that constantly urinated on the carpeting. After removal of the carpeting and multiple scrubings of the sub-flooring the odor still remains, permeating through new carpeting.

Once the cat starts peeing inside I have found it is almost impossible to get them to stop. At that point they either have to become outdoor cat or gotten rid of.

J

18. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

We had a cat (Sylvester) who started peeing on the carpet after our house was broken into twice. We figure he was kicked or something like that, cuz he was really shy and scared the next few weeks after the break-ins. We finally replaced the carpet with wood floors 2 months ago, and let me tell you, it was SICK. We thought we had gotten all the piss, but it was all on the sub floor and in the vents, and in one spot, it went through the vent and ruined one of the big drop ceiling tiles downstairs, it was nasty. Hopefully our current 3 cats won't do the same!!!

19. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

20. florence franks

florence franks Stunt Coordinator

Drop 1.99 grocery store stuff and get Proplan Urinary tract adult brand cat food. I had up to 15 cats that nursing back health and never once had one go outside box )