What's new

What makes British humor more unique (or not) than other English speaking humor (1 Viewer)

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Cobblers,

I thought that Brit transvestite in a kimono on HBO chap was pretty funny. I think his name was Eddie Izzard.

British humor in general is a little more razor sharp w/ the wit and use of language, but oftimes is too reserved and boring... lost my train of thought... was I describing Brit humor (humour) or people.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I'm with Paul. There's nothing wrong with British dentistry as my free and perfect orthodontistry will testify to. And wouldn't trust half of the North American citizens posting on here, any more than you'd trust me to tell a Brit what to expect on the other side of the pond! I seem to remember someone once posting that there were no fridges in newsagents...based on last having been here 17 years ago!!!:D
Things change fast. Bill Bryson lays into a U.S. tourist book about Britain that has absolutely no connection to the country he lived in for so many years and yet was still available.;)

Marianne

Supporting Actor
I broke a tooth last week, went to my American dentist and was informed that a crown would cost $625.00. I mean, give me a break, I could buy a car for that. I could buy 30-40 DVDs for that. How the f*#k can they justify that?
Regarding British humour (I are one), I think everyone just discussing TV shows is missing the point. The British sense of humour comes from centuries of living in complete misery and having to put up with depressing weather (as well as the "stiff upper lip" thing).
Regarding the ugly British women comment - I guess you are referring to the women on TV and in sitcoms, mainly. You need to understand that these are real women - not the Barbie dolls and beauty queens that populate American TV.
Of course, all the men on American TV are really attractive.
(That was sarcasm in case any of you Yanks missed it.) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks