What makes a subwoofer sound boomy?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by EdNichols, Apr 5, 2004.

1. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

How does sub. design make it sound boomy? Is it stuffing too large a driver in too small a cabinet? Too much amperage? What?

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Poor room acoustics causing an emphasis in the 40-60 Hz region.

A poor FR from the sub itself, with an inherent emphasis in the 40-60 Hz region. High distortion from the sub can also add audible harmonics in this bandwidth.

A wooden floor over an open space (like a basement), which can flex and resonate and add sound.

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

And to add to Edwards list, ...

1) to 'much' Sub Level (not calibrated), ... and possibly, ...

2) the frequencies shared between sub-woofer and main speakers.

As a primer, read Stuart M. Robinson Sub-woofer Purchasing, Positioning and Calibration. on-line article where he points out ...
    Hope this helps,
    Phil

4. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Agreed. One of the reason that people recommend putting subwoofers in the corner is that they excite the most resonances in that position. I had a +18 dB peak at 40Hz in my room and it sounded impressive initially but I realized that it was at the cost of true deep bass. Getting a parametric EQ has helped.

5. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

Thanks for the info. I just moved my sub. to a corner position from a center wall location and the sub certainly sounds louder. I haven't done a check with the meter to see if I have any problem at certain frequencies. BTW, I have a DVD that does a frequency sweep but where can I get one that plays and holds at certain frequencies? Also, if I have peaks at certain frequencies what would be an acceptable peak as compared to other frequencies?

6. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

That's what my current location is like. If I was to move to the basement below would the problem still exist since the resonating floor is just above now rather than below?

7. Felix_H

Felix_H Stunt Coordinator

I fixed this problem by placing my sub on a slab of concrete. Bass is much tighter and clear and the boominess is gone.

8. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Ned, if you moved the rig to the basement, the bass would probably tighten up considerably.

The air pressure would not be enough to flex the wooden ceiling in the basement; it is the direct reactive forces of the woofer which create the floor boom.

I agree with Felix - an A/C paver for $10 should help considerably to decouple the sub from the floor. If you want something fancier, I'll put you in touch with someone who makes them from marble.