What Makes a Receiver Sound "Bright?"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Zos, Nov 23, 2002.

1. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I've got Klipsch paired with a Denon 3802. Denon is well-liked within the Klipsch community because it is supposed to be less bright and thus help mellow the Klipsch sound somewhat. But I have the front three channels running off monoblocks and that got me to wondering: does the sound, bright or otherwise, from a reciever come from the amps it has? Which would mean I am bypassing that sound from my Denon by using the monoblocks?

2. James Zos

35 views and no one even wants to take a stab at answering this?

3. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I think ideally amplifiers should not color sound as bright, warm, etc. I believe the sound characteristics are lent during processing if any. In your case, the monoblocks should only be amplifying the signals they receive from your 3802. Also I believe bright means receivers that sound slightly harsh or forward sounding or something to that effect.
    (Where are Lee,Chu,Yogi,Robert,Saurav etal when you need them?)

4. Jaime B

Jaime B Stunt Coordinator

James:

Mostly, yes! As an example, years ago when I had a Yamaha 3090 powering my Home Theater system, it was very bright.
    I tried a Rotel 5 channel amp (forgot model number) and the sound was completely transformed! It sounded much more neutral with greater transparency.

Yamaha came out with the DSP-A1, so I bought it instead of the Rotel. Not enough money left after that to buy the Rotel. All A/V receivers can be made to sound better (or at least different) with a quality separate amp.

Brightness is usually at the amplification stage (with regards to receivers, which is the context of this thread) although the pre-amp section can contribute.

Question answered, for whatever it's worth!

Regards,
    Jaime

5. James Zos

Thanks for both your responses!

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

i don't buy into that position however its not unknown for people to purchase amplification that's inadequate for their speaker and listening level preferences which can lead to audible distortion. if you're finding your klipsch a tad bright, and for some reason, can't return them for something more in tune with your individual preferences, then we can deal with their positioning and working a bit on the room to make it better.

7. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I doubt the "brightness" you are hearing is comming from your amps or reciever. You say you are using "mono blocks" what kind, how much power etc.
    Which Klipsch speakers are you using. Most klipsch speakers are bright (some horn loaded )
    Most of the time when someone refers to the sound of a high quality piece of equipment the differences are so subtle that the average person will never hear it.
    There are audible differences with certain speaker/amp combinations, some speakers do better with certain amps, an example would be a low impedance speakers on an amp with a low damping factor,such as would be found in a typical reciever. I bought the Definitive BP20 when it first came out (before the fix) and was using a top Sony ES reciever the BP20s would shut it down almost imediatly, Bought an Adcom Pre-Amp and an Adcom 555 on it (the GFA-1a was just being replaced) BTW does anyone Know what GFA stands for?? I do and yes it is true. .
    Anyway the difference was night and day, I mean it Opened up those BP20s that I thought sounded like crap to a point that I had way too much bass, replaced the 20s with the BP10s but thats another story
    Long story short unless you have some sort of mismatch (btw-your speakers are in phase I assume) the brightness, harshness, warmness, openness, etc that reviewers use to describe a piece of audio gear is so subtle that 90% of the people out there have to have it pointed out to them before they hear it. I would check out everything including the speakers, make sure each driver is working, your "Tone" settings are where you want them. If everything is in order, believe me it is so easy for it not to be, and you still are not happy with your sound, your going to have to change something (spkrs most likely or as mentioned placement, traps etc)

8. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

9. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

GREAT [email protected] AMPLIFIER excuse the french.
    Same is true GFP (pre-amps) GTP- Great Tuner Pre-amp etc, I was told by several reliable sources that this is true. . .

10. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

I have a set of Paradigm Monitor speakers that, like your Klipschs, can be considered bright. I have tried a few combos of receivers and the different amps made a great deal of difference in the sound.

I originally bought a lower mid range Yamaha receiver. I originally considered this speaker/receiver combo bright, but after some experimentation it was more neutral. I have tried 3 other receivers and with the same speaker positioning and same SPL level, here are my unscientific results (used direct mode for stereo except for the Yamaha which did not have a direct mode):

Integra 7.1 - By far most bright! very tinny sounding, could not listen to for more than an hour at a time. Terrible combo with my Paradigms.

Yamaha 596 - neutral, maybe a little too much treble, but not tinny - great for movies, kind of bland for music

Denon 3802 - warm - not tinny at all, more bass + mid-range than the yamaha or Integra

Marantz 8200 - best all around - just the right amount of upper range + mid-range, very good bass.

The amp sections for these receivers all sounded very different. One can say that it was the processing that makes the most difference in a receiver, but if Direct mode is truly direct then each of these amps will put its own characteristics into the sound. Changing speakers will make the most difference in sound, but the differences between amps is significant!

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

A reply from Adcom regarding the meaning of GFA reads,

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

A reply from Adcom regarding the meaning of GFA reads,