What's new

What makes a good subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

RHui_BC

Auditioning
I have always been a person to buy speakers after hearing them, but recently it is getting much harder to demo speakers before buying, especially with the higher end stuff...

I have read many subwoofer reviews, but I am confused and lost as I am somewhat of a newbie.

I am in the market for a new sub, because my DPS-12 doesn't give the initial impact of my brothers new Klipsch synergy 10". It's that punch, not volume I want.

My benchmark was Master and commander and LOTR.

Review sites have recommended subs like Axiom EP350 & EP500, and SVS PB10-IBD, but I'm lost cause all them seem to hit 20hz, but what gives that punch?

My budget is pretty much around $1000... but there is sooo much choice out there! The PB10-IBD got great reviews, but I don't like the lack of crossover setting...

Thanks for the advice guys!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The "punch" feeling comes from mid-bass (around 40hz or so). Sometimes it's even an exaggerated mid-bass. A lot of us here try to have a flat frequency response over the entire range our speakers and subs cover.

Can you borrow your brother's new sub? Room interactions play such a big part in the sub's response that it may not even sound the same in your room. With the proper EQ, you can dial in as much punch as you want using just about any sub.

Why don't you like the "feature" of no crossover on the PB10? With any sub that has a built in crossover, you will just disable it or turn the crossover frequency high enough so that there is no interaction with between the two. I use a pro amp to power my subs. It has a gain control for each channel and a power switch. I've never noticed that I was missing anything by not having a built in crossover. I also have massive amounts of power available (2,000+ watts) for the tough bass scenes.

-Robert

Paul Mor

Stunt Coordinator
If your budget is around $1000, you can go a good ways up the SVS line from the PB-ISD10. I'm not familiar enough with all of the SVS's to give a good recomendation for which one will give you the most "punch", but the ISD/2 will rumble your insides on the movies you mentioned.
Look used also...SVS's are hard to find, but I got lucky and found an 8 month old Plus/2 within driving distance for $1000. Saved me about $400 by the time you figure in shipping.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Also look on the b-stock on SVS web site, they did have a PB-12Plus in oak on there for $899, not sure if it is still there or not. Or look at the 20-39 plus if a tube sub is an option, it is $825ish.

RHui_BC

Auditioning
Ya, I borrowed the Klipsch Syngergy 10", found the best placement in the room by listening, and same difference.

In the same scenes, I feel the Klipsch on the initial Canon fire (Master & Commander) than the Velodyne DPS-12.

If its 40hz that gives the punch, what does 20hz and sub 20hz give?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
20Hz and below gives realism to those deep sounds. It is a tactile presence. It won't really make sense until you've heard (felt) what that means.

I've owned the PB-10 and it is a heck of a sub for the money.

How big is your room?

RHui_BC

Auditioning
My HT room is about 18ft x 22ft x 10ft ceiling.

I just don't want to make the same mistake... The Velodyne DPS-12 was a on-the-fly buy. I found a good review on the DPS-10 and was sold and assumed the 12" would do the same... I sold my old Polk 8" that kept bottoming out. The Velodyne doesn't bottom out, but annoys the shit out of me of now, and no where does it give the same feel as what was mentioned with the dps-10 review.

I think myself as a beginner in the presence of everyone here, cause I don't think I can tune worth crap, best I can do is move the sub aroundt ill I think it sounds best in the room (subjective).

But as I've said before, I'm looking for the 'feel' and not really volume.

I keep hearing good things about the SVS line, but only one I've found a real good indetail review on was the PB10-IBD but does the PB12-IBD or the PB12-IBD/2 give better results, not by extrapolation but by experience?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Your room is quite large, so getting quality bass is no small task. You're going to want something fairly significant to fill a room like that. I had the PB-10 in my room, which is 19x20 with high vaulthed ceilings and open to the kitchen, and I can tell you it is probably not going to be quite enough for your room. I'd step up to the ISD/2 or a Plus. You might also consider the HSU VTF-3 MkII.

Jacob C

Second Unit
Or if you are willing to wait a VTF3-HO. Its a monster. If I went with SVS I would get one with the plus or ultra drivers.

RHui_BC

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice guys, but actually I only sit 16ft away from the tv/sub, cause the rest of the room is used for the wetbar.

So you guys think I should get the PB12-IBD/2?

Are there any other brands you recommend? SVS will be costly cause it has to cross the border to Canada.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Since you're in Canada, you might look at the Paradigm PW-2200, or the Servo-15 if you can swing that.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You didn't mention Canada, but I guess that is what the BC is for? In that case, I'd say look at the HSU VTF-3 possibly even HO as I believe HSU has Canadian distributors.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
If you like your brother's Klipsch so much, why not buy one for yourself? That way you won't go wrong and you'll avoid all the confusion. I used to own a KSW10 and thought it was an excellent sub for the money. I had it from '99 to '05 and it never faltered or bottomed out through all the Star Wars, LOTR and other bass-heavy films, even though it was only rated down to 32Hz.

The front firing reference line from Klipsch (still within your price range) will give you more punch, volume and low-end.

I liked my Klipsch sub so much that I made every effort to get a hold of one, over here in Japan, short of shipping one from the U.S., but to no avail. I made a compromise and went with the more expensive KEF PSW2500 sealed cabinet 10" sub. It's a good sub - very smooth, but I think the Klipsch would have been better.

RHui_BC

Auditioning
Ya that's what BC was for, all the other logins were taken :/.

So if you were to pick the HSU-VTF3-MK2 and the SVS PB12-IBD, which would you pick?

Seems that the HSU VTF3-MK2 is better known as a good 12" sub.

RHui_BC

Auditioning
I don't want my brother's klipsch because i want something better than him :D... you know sibling rivalry...

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
To follow-up on what John Garcia said, if you can wait till June, you can still save $100 (US) on Hsu VTF-3HO, if you order very quickly.

PS

Management, if you find my post out of line in any way, please simply delete it.

RHui_BC

Auditioning
What is the HSU VTF-3HO? IS that the same as the MK2?

And why will the price drop $100usd in June?

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I think there is a pre-order deal right now (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The price actually goes up $100 in June which I'm assuming must be the expected ship date.

RHui_BC

Auditioning
So let me get this straight...

HSU is coming out with a new model VTF-3HO that is going to be twice the sub? Does anyone know in what ways this model will differ? And how will pricing be?

Right now the HSU VTF-3 MK2 can be had for around $800cdn, which is well within my budget...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks