1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

What makes a good receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JeanVanDam, Jan 26, 2004.

1. JeanVanDam

JeanVanDam Stunt Coordinator

I have a budget of $350 for a good receiver, what features should I look for, watts per channel how much do I need? I plan to power a Rocket ELT package. Is the Denon 1804 receiver worth their speaker and receiver package?[​IMG]

2. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

what makes a receiver good is fairly subjective...

some people want ooodles of power others want functions and features out the ying yang...all companies can provide both if they don't care about pricing...but since most people have limited budgets, things get lopped off...some concentrate on the analog stage, some concentrate on having lots of added features like room correction. Some companies give both but limit inputs...etc...

in the $300-$500, the denon would not be my first choice...but that doesn't mean that its not a fine first choice...there are many people that would consider that first...

given that you are new to this, i recommend the pioneer 912 which you can get for around that price...

Rich