What's new

What makes a good center channel? (1 Viewer)

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator
Me either, though there are some folks on the fullrange forum that swear by them. Just looking at specs, they have abysmal efficiency and a very high Q, though Babb specs them much higher and has stated that their drivers can't be defined by T/S due to their unique design. Yeah, right, if it has an impedance peak and compliance it can be defined by T/S. Me and some others have hammered Alan some on this point, but without hearing/measuring them in-room we're not sure how much it affects the speaker's response.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Greg, so you are the guy Alan has asked to review the Lorelei! I have been following the full range driver forum myself. I agree with you on the high Q issue, but their efficiency specs are not that bad. Also, I agree with you on the T/S parameters. But, like you said without listening in room you will never know. I was actually thinking about using these drivers either in wall, IB so as to get the lowest Q possible, or in a dipole transmission line setup. Like I said I have ordered 3 pairs for evaluation. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Lorelei when you get them.

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Well, one of a multitude as I understand it. Unless they've changed the specs, when you use the formulas that ~everyone uses, the efficiencies are pretty low, at least compared to other FR drivers except Jordan IIRC. It's been a couple of years since I checked them.

Anyway, I'll post my thoughts on the FR forum, with a note here with link for anyone interested. Measurements will be limited to an in-room RTA though.

GM

Chris Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
IMO, the best option is an exact match for the left/right channels, in the same vertical orientation. I am a very picky listener (especially when it comes to vocals), and this is the only way I have ever achieved a sonic match that makes me happy. In fact, all seven of my channels are identical...

Iver

Second Unit
Commercial makers of MTM center speakers count on aesthetics to carry them through in the purchasing decision by the general public.
Wow. Very interesting news, Patrick. Would this apply to the Paradigm CC-170 and even the new CC-270's, both of which have the tweeter smack dab in the center line and right between the mids?

Actually, I was planning to purchase one or the other of these centers.

Are there any manufactured centers which avoid this type of design?

Also, would the drawbacks to the M-centerline T-M configuration make a big difference for a listener no more than four or five feet in front of the speaker?

While we are on the subject, what are your thoughts on using the space directly underneath the TV for placing a center-channel speaker? Would that be better than the more typical location of directly over the set?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Iver,

I'd suggest going to the store and listening to those Paradigm Center speakers. Be sure to listen to them off-axis, and if they meet your expectations in performance, buy the model you like and can afford.

Do people really sit within 4-5 feet of the TV? That's pretty close (unless you have a small TV screen).

Mark,

I suggest finding a place to listen to their TMM center. It seems like an odd choice for a center channel speaker.

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
Patrick,
I was considering redesigning my MTM center so I can change out the front baffle to test different configurations. When I test my CC I can see the off axis problem but when I listen I cant hear any change esp in the voices from 0 to 15 deg off axis. Tests indicate a suck-out at 1300 Hz of about 12 dB at 15 deg off axis, but I cant hear it. Are the suck-outs very narrow in frequency? Could the room reflections be covering this?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, 1300Hz is getting down in the male vocal range/some female vocals too, and you might not notice it for movie/TV soundtracks, but you might it be pump some music through the CC speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks