What's new

What makes 1 DVI cable better than the other? (1 Viewer)

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I know there are a million discussions on analog cables and quality.

Someone I work with just bought a HD931 to go on a Samsung DLP 42". They went and bought a Monster DVI cable. They swear that there is a huge quality difference between the Monster DVI and the stock DVI cable that originally came with their Samsung HiDef DTV receiver.

This has been an ongoing 'discussion' as to whether cable quality matters in DVI.

I say no, he says yes...my opinion is that its a digital signal consisting of 1's and 0's and a 1 over a 15 dollar cable is the same as a 1 over a 99 dollar cable. His return arguement is that interference and the cables lack of quality can make a 1 a 0 in some cases and all of the digital information doesn't get transmitted as intended. I say if that were true then the new HDCP would not work because if the video information can get corrupted over a cheap DVI cable then the digital security keys would also fail to make it across the cable correctly leading to a loss in video.

I've read the DVI spec and the HDCP spec...the 56 bit encryption key must make it across the line intact, otherwise no video, no diff in the video signal and the cipher signal.

I understand the bandwidth issue also, single first dual but any cable that meets the DVI spec itself should perform just the same as others, single bandwidth is enough to support 1080i at either the current DLP or LCD resolutions.

These IMO are still fairly hefty cables for a low bandwidth media, we run 10x's the data across cheaper and smaller wires with no difference.

This reminds me of BB and CC selling the Gold USB and Printer cables, those apps are so low bandwidth its not even funny yet they jack you for 40-50 bux a cable when 3 dollar cables do the same job, or better yet was the Gold Modem Cable for better performance, those screaming 53kbps really need that great cable :rolleyes

BTW, I also just bought a HD931 to use on my Sony 60" LCD GW. I'm currently using a 15' 14 dollar DVI cable from NewEgg because its what I had, I have a 6' on order.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Nobody?

I thought people would jump all over this.

Really lookng for an answer to this before I go buy another cable.

Thanks

Jason GT

Second Unit
IMO, most of Monster = scam. :rolleyes

If you ask me, this sounds like an excellent chance to do some testing of the two types of DVI cables. And, IMO, with DVI you'll either get an image, or not -- this follows the "common" wisdom. Here's a link:

DVI Cables

On the other hand, you have the opportunity to test this out, and if you (or your friend) disagree with the "common" wisdom, the price is a mere $100.

Finally, you seem to be well-read up on this stuff - don't be shy to let marketers know that YOU determine what you want and need -- not them!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
eric, i also have the same dvd player -- which came with the supplied cable.

i did buy the monster cable, but only because i could get it at a significant discount. i figured it wouldn't hurt. (don't hurt me chu....) :)

if you're up to it, feel like doing some comparing and posting our findings? heck, now that i'm reading this, i'll probably do it for my own edification anyway.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Ted,

I wouldn't mind. I do need to wait for my 6' to show up, don't think using a cable at the max DVI spec is a good idea to compare with, but I'll include it.

He said he might be inclined to give it up for a day. I guess the best test would be on both TV's.

I wish I had 2 DVI's because the Sony has the Freeze/Swap option that would make it easy to see the diff.

I wouldn't have a problem buying the cable if it was 30-40 bux, but 100 is a bit much. The funny thing from Monsters Website is that their Super Duper cable supports a whole 24 bits per pixel of color... :rolleyes

The only think I'm not sure of is do we need the double cable or not? The Sony is 1386x836 I believe. One spec says standard 1080i is OK for the single cable, others says 1280x1024 is the max for the single, the Sony res might be close.

the HD931 is the best choice to test since its a digital only signal, no analog component at all.

I know he won't give it up this weekend with the Superbowl, but we'll have to do some comparison testing and see.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Not so... I have been testing DVI KVMs. On one, there was some breakup in areas with small details; e.g. the dotted line that gets drawn around items to show focus would not "stay still" even though it doesn't move. On another, the entire picture was broken up into tiles that were either slightly shifted or completely the wrong color, or both. Still no joy on with DVI KVMs at 1600x1200....

Jason GT

Second Unit
Ken,

Sorry -- I guess should have said that it's obvious that it's working correctly, or not :p

Oh well.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yeah, i think about 50 bucks is what i paid for the cable.

i think the best test would be to the dlp, since that stays fixed in the digital domain (doesn't it?).

since i have a rptv, the signal still has to undergo that final conversion, but the comparison (on my side of the house) should still be worthwhile.

should be interesting ... let me know when you're gonna go for it. i doubt i'll have time to do it this weekend...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks