what made 2 speakers timbre matched?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Feb 23, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i asked a htf forumer the other day about timbre matching boston vr-m50 with vr910. he didnt know, but he was sure that his vr-m50s were timbre matched with vr10 ( discontinued ). two reasons why : he believed his ears, and the salesman showed him that both speakers use the same tweeters.

it sounds like the key factor is the tweeters, not the woofer. is it right? i mean, i believe that person 100 percent, but is it right on other speakers besides the bostons?

ps :

the seller on ebay told me she is selling a pair of vr-m50, not one, single unit. 400 bucks, compared to 700 bucks a pair at tweeters.

and i am still waiting for a reply from bostonacoustics about timbre matching vr910 and vr-m50

2. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

The crossovers are very important for timbre matching also.

3. felix_suwarno

i quickly checked the spec. vr-m50 crossover is 2700 hz. the matching center, vr-mc is 3000 hz. i dont think crossover rating would affect timbre matching factor at all.

4. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Well, Felix, I would think that since the enclosures are different at least (do those speakers use the same driver complement?) that you would have to adjust the crossover to timbre match the speakers properly. Tweeters, Mids and crossover are the most important thing for timbre matching speakers in different enclosures.

5. felix_suwarno

vr-m50 and vr-mc could be considered a "package".
    http://bostonacoustics.com/SeriesPag...ID=35&SpecID=1
    "you would have to adjust the crossover to timbre match the speakers properly"
    wow, that is a revelation to me. i am not an expert on ht. i thought only the manufacturer could make 2 speakers timbre matched. based on that statement, can we depend on crossover adjustments to timbre match 2 different speakers?
    i got a feeling that vr910 is not timbre matched with vr-m50, they use different woofers. also, the vr-m50 uses " black anodized aluminum dome" tweeter. whatever that means. while the vr910 uses an inch tweeter. whatever that means as well...

6. ron_kolarovic

ron_kolarovic Auditioning

Felix - did you check with Boston ? I asked the same question a couple of months ago trying to timbre match my older VR30s with some center channels. They responded within a day or two ( using email ) - a phone call may be better.

7. felix_suwarno

ok, this is the reply. what is airiness and musicality??? same tweeter, very similar woofers, yet the airiness and musicality is better on vr-mc? i dont get it. sounds like they want to market the vr-m series more than vr. well, i would go with vr910 then.
    Hello,
    For the most part yes. As they share the same tweeter, very similar woofers
    and voicing that we use throughout the whole line. However the small details
    that make the VRm a smother and more defined sounding speaker may not be
    that important if you do not listen to 5channel music or a lot of movies, if
    this is the case, the VR910 may be a good way to go. Now if the musicality
    and airiness of the VRm side speakers made you go that direction and
    5channel audio or movies are your top priority then the VRMC may be better
    for you. Ultimately, you should listen to both as the subtleties that exist
    between the two and decide if the differences are enough to justify stepping
    up. Please let me know if you have any other questions on this or anything
    else.
    Take Care,
    Dave Jaques
    Technical Support
    Boston Acoustics
    1-978-538-5063
    [email protected]
    -----Original Message-----
    Sent:Friday, February 22, 2002 6:19 PM
    To:Support
    Subject:timbre matching vr-m50 and vr910