What's new

What level do you put your samson amp on for SVS subwoofers (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Every install is different so it's kind of impossible to compare what 50% means on one person's setup to another due to a large number of factors.

I can't think of a time when running an amp at 100% gain would be a good thing, or really even 75%. My rule of thumb is to start at 50% gain and see where that puts you relative to your pre/pro or reicever's level, then adjust them to a happy medium, and hopefully that means you aren't running the receiver or amp close to their max adjustments.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I crank em all the way unless there is noise / hiss when doing so. :) Not just with SVS and Samson, but all my sub installs. Gives the owner more range if he/she feels the content just doesn't have enough sub in the mix.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member

It's not a volume controll per se, but a gain controll for the amp's input. It basically indicates what voltage the amp needs to reach the same output it is rated for.Many people recommend to turn the gain controll up to it's close to max settings, so that the icoming level can be set lower and avoid possible clipping, in the incoming signal.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
It's easy to confuse a plate amp (found on the back of a sub)with a pro amp (like the samson)when speaking or getting information regarding the two different types. With a outboard amp like the samson, it is generally best practice to start with the gain at full, not to be confused with a plate amp. If you find when calibrating your sub or subs that you need more room with your ajustement settings on your receiver...you then should cut the gain back on your samson. Another note of importance is being sure your filters are set correctly on the back of the samson. If one is set wrong it can and will affect the outcome.

If your running dual, or a smallish room and want to stay around the -5 level on your subwoofer setting on your receiver...then it might require the 3/4 gain setting on your samson as you suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks