What level do people listen to DVDs at? 75db?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Sun, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Robert Sun

Robert Sun Agent

Hello,

I just calibrated my speakers with SPL and AVIA. I calibrated at 75db which resulted in my main volume control being -4db. The other speaker settings were
    FL 0 C 0 R +2 RS +4 LS +2

I was wondering what level most people watch a DVD at? I read that most people find 10db less than reference level is comfortable ( But does this refer to the "standard" reference calibration of 85db less 10db = 75db so I should watch DVDs at my setting of -4db on the volume control)

Obviously you watch a DVD at whatever the individual is comfortable with but out of interest I would like to know what others find comfortable.

Thanks for your input

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Robert,

As you realized, technically you are already 10 below ref level with your volume at -4: you calibrated to 75db on AVIA- which AVIA's tones are specifically designed to be calibrated to 85db. Not a big deal (the main concern is that you get all the channel levels matching).

I would say that I usually listen around -5 to -7 below ref level. The standard around here seems to hover in the -5 to 15 range- so I would say -10 is fine.

Although- I would worry most how it sounds to you. If it's not pleasing at this volume, I'd ignore what others are doing and set it where it is comfortable for you!

-V