What's new

What level are your SVS set to? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I have two SVS CS+ and they are currently set to about +8db using Video Essentials. I usually can not turn the volume up to a ridiculous level because my pregnant wife thinks I am nuts. This level does well for me because I get a lot of bass at volume level that is loud but not real real loud. I have never come close to bottoming out my svs and I never want to. They are part of the family and I need to name them. lol

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I have a single 20-39 PC with the old amp and the new driver. I calibrated all speakers, including the sub, to 85 db with the S&V disc. I find it delivers the bass I like without drawing attention to itself. I also listen well below reference.

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Brian --
The mention of your pregnant wife brings up an interesting concept...
I think SVS should provide a free gift to the first *verifiable* case of SVS bass-induced delivery! :)
Matt Gordon

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Brian,

There is nothing wrong with a calibration like that. It's a sort of ad-hoc "loudness" compensation. People seem to be less sensitive to bass as the volume goes down so the old trick of bumping up bass for lower listening levels is as old as the hills. We essentially adivse folks (that typically are watching movies well below reference level) in our owners manuals to do just what you have.

I do this myself often. NOTE: Just keep in mind that you will almost certainly find this TOO much if you decide to do some reference level blasts of The Haunting for your buddies while the wife is off shopping for baby's new shoes. While hard to bottom, if you run dual subs with punishing bass like that DVD and you are measureing 8dB over for the subs (more like 10-11dB actual since the RS meter reads low on bass tones) you will probably damage someting in your house, not least of which will be your SVS's. Our upcoming "black box" from Marchland electronics will help roll off frequencies below the tuning point of the subs in such cases, but there is a need to exercise some common sense with "hot" calibrations is all I'm saying.

Ron

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
Thanks Ron,

I turn the bass back, with loud listening,when listening when the wife is away. It is just she does not like it up real loud while she is here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks