What's new

What kinda wood should i use for a subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Tyler

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the subwoofer cabinet size from Dan Wiggins over the e-mail telling me what size of box i should make & port size.
The sub will be 24" tall 20"wide & 20"depth and i will be using a port tuned to 20hz.
I want to know what kind of wood i should use to make the subwoofer cabinet.
The driver will be the Adire Audio SHIVA
Thanks for any input.

Tyler

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks.
Should i use 1" thick MDF ?
would that work best & should i use bracing in side of the cabinet ?

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
Plywood and particle board cuts easier than MDF, but MDF doesnt chip as easily and holds shape better. MDF also creates an insane amount of dust, and will eat away so-so quality bits and blades quickly. I think 3/4" MDF would be a lot easier to work with, and you can just laminate two pieces together if need be.

Julian Data

Second Unit
Tyler,
Download the Adire Tempest Application papers at their site as there are CAD drawings in there to help you.
JD
------------------

Nick O

Auditioning
Tyler, for a smaller box 1" would be ideal. I like to use two 1/2" peices of wood, one low density particleboard and the other 1/2" high density plywood sandwich together. If you have a local Lowes or DIY, these hardware stores offer wood cutting for very cheap. Saves the hassel of trying to make even cuts. Measure your cuts for a 1" peice of wood and double the amount of cuts (one of each type of 1/2"). I use a silicon caulk to seal the boards to each other and seal the box after its done. Liquid nails works as well. Brace the box well and try to use interior dimensions in the ratio of .6 x 1 x 1.6. The two densities of wood want to vibrate at different frequencies and cancel each other. This might be a little involved, but usually gives good results. If its a sealed box this enclosure would be worth the effort. Happy subbing!

Bob_Wilson

Agent
I would recommend you consider baltic birch plywood. It is dense, a hardwood but fairly easy to cut and you can finish it in natural finish.
------------------
Bob Wilson
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick
themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill

RichardM

Auditioning
Basswood, of course!
icon13.gif

------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks